1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview and audio question

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Icarus, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This may sound a stupid question but is freeview through the Nokia 221T via it's digital audio out, capable of receiving Dolby 5.1, and or other surround modes?

I have this just plugged it into my Arcam AVR200 and am unable to tell yet :confused:

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Its capable as is my Pioneer freeview box. However its very unlikely freeview will broadcard 5.1 digital sound etc....they just don't have the bandwidth for it.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Youll be limited to Dolby Pro Logic at best i'm afraid.If you want 5.1 off air then you will have to look at Sky+ and even then it is only supported on some movies.

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Freeview doesn't do Dolby Digital 5.1 (and I doubt any channels would spare the extra bitrate for it even if it did) so chances are we'll never know. The Nokia 221T is one of a number of DTT boxes that claim to be 5.1 cable from their digital outputs - might as well say they can do DTS, SACD & MLP for all the opportunity we'd get to prove they were lying...

5. Icarus

Icarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all for the answers, so it's down to bandwidth then. Oh well, at least I know now.