Freeview and a lack of subtitles.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Brian L, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Brian L

Brian L
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As is usual at Christmas Freeview was full of repeats or programs with no subtitles but I looked forward to watching one decent program , "An Inspector calls" on the Drama channel of Freeview Tuesday 26.12.2017. "An Inspector calls" is considered to be one of the classics of mid-20th century English theatre. The only problem from my point of view is that I am one of the approximately 19% of the total population who is deaf and requires subtitles to understand anything on TV. Its a waste of time talking to Freeview about this problem because they use the copout of, All of the channels on Freeview are responsible for what they do. In other words, Nufinct to do with us mate all we do is to take the money.
    I'm now looking for a replacement to Freeview for which I don't mind paying.

2. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,433
    Freeview does just display channels. Why didn't you take it up with the Drama channel?

3. Brian L

Brian L
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have done so before and they just don't reply.

4. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,433
    Like a lot of Freeview channels they are probably on a shoestring budget.

The programme may not have been made with subtitles in the first place. Or back then were on Ceefax and haven't been added to this.

I'm guessing money is involved somewhere and it isn't available.

5. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,127
  6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    I did not think it was designed as a profit making platform but as a platform where multiple channels could be viewed using via normal aerials.
    Of the may channels and all the different programs it would cost them quite a bit to add subtitles for each and everyone of them.
    The Drama channel seems to source their material from the BBC and ITV some will have subtitles already embedded in them at present Death in Paradise is on and that has sub's available.

Is there anything to turn speech into text?

7. Brian L

Brian L
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, money is involved somewhere and it isn't available but the programme before had subtitles. It’s up to the channel to have a program subtitled and I suspect that the previous programme shown was much more profitable and was therefore subtitled.

One of the problems is that one cannot take a subtitled programme from one channel and show it on another because the adverts are in different places. Yes it may be down to money but if they can’t produce a programme then close them down.

You said, “Get someone to ring them?”
    I’m extremely hard of hearing and communicate by Email.

I’m not sure what you mean by, “could you be using an older box”.

“I did not think it was designed as a profit making platform but as a platform where multiple channels could be viewed using via normal aerials.”
    Everything in the world of TV is designed to make profit.

“Of the many channels and all the different programs it would cost them quite a bit to add subtitles for each and every one of them.”
    Then go out of business.

“The Drama channel seems to source their material from the BBC and ITV some will have subtitles already embedded in them at present Death in Paradise is on and that has sub's available.”
    The problem with embedding is as I wrote above means that the programme has to fit round where the adverts were in the original program and when there are different adverts that doesn’t work.

Is there anything to turn speech into text?
    Yes, Speech recognition apps but it’s far from perfect as one can see from some of the awful mistakes even the BBC New make.

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26,127
    Could not be more clearer
    Yes I know you have a hearing problem, hence can you not get someone else to call them , your more likely make contact quicker than via email

I'm not sure if later hardware would have better functionality for subtitles

What version of an inspector calls, the older version may not have subs compared to the excellent 2015 version.

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Drama is a UKTV channel, you could try the UKTV Player and see if there are subtitles if you watch it that way. UKTV Play | UKTV Play

May work...

You can contact UKTV using this Contact Form or by e-mailing viewers at uktv.co.uk

But I would say a slight attitude adjustment is required. You tend to get the best out of people if you're civil...

This certainly isn't Freeview's fault, and it may not be UKTV's fault either. Who knows if they even have the subtitles for this programme.

If all else fails...

DVD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inspector-Calls-DVD-David-Thewlis/dp/B0144E0SW2

or

Stream: An Inspector Calls - Season 1 : Watch online now with Amazon Instant Video: Drama Republic Ltd: Amazon.co.uk

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,293
    As I understand it the BBC is not a profit making organisation its income spent on wages programing transmitting up keep etc.

Bit of a narrow minded view, just because it does not provide a service on every platform for you, close it down for everyone else.

11. RiceRocket

RiceRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,539
    Maybe your best bet is to try the tv regulator Ofcom
    Drama channel is over 4.5yrs old now & has 0.5% viewing share so either you're unlucky with your show being in remaining non-obligatory 20% or they need prodding from Ofcom