1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview + analogue in the same recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by HelenS, Sep 28, 2005.

1. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many of you know this anyway but I thought I would point it out to those who wondered. I just read a group review in What Home Cinema of a number of hard drive DVD recorders, including the Panasonic DMR-EH60D. I have one of these and it struck me that the review didn't mention one of its features, which I think can be quite significant to people living in areas where they can't receive all Freeview channels, or people who aren't "into" making more than the standard connections between their TV and other equipment: this recorder can receive both analogue and Freeview channels via its tuner, without any alterations required in its setup. The tuner acts as one unit, so you can't do tricks like recording two channels at once (but almost all DVD/HDD recorders also have a single tuner anyway), but until the analogue transmitter switch-off it's a nice feature to have. This also applies to the DMR-ES20D, which is a DVD recorder without hard drive. As far as I am aware, in late September 2005 the Panasonics are the only Freeview DVD recorders with analogue reception also (the Sony RDR-HXD710 and 910 for example are Freeview only). Of course, there aren't actually many other Freeview DVD and DVD/HDD recorders yet anyway (though there are a fair number of Freeview HDD PVRs).

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Cannot comment on the EH60D but for a price around £215 Panasonic have really excelled with the DMR-ES20D, The freeview picture is as good as the Topfield PVR, and its facilities and ease of use put my other two earlier Panasonics in the shade. The DVD-RAM compensates for no hard disk in this budget model. Little wonder that Rasczak picked this as the best budget model currently available.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/panasonic/