• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

freeview aerial

idolm

Standard Member
Hello:)

Can anyone offer any assistance with the correct type of aerial/cable required for use with a digital freeview box,and a HDTV with freeview please.Currently I have an aerial about 10 years old which requires changing.

I have been told so many things to date:(

Many thanks:thumbsup:

Cheers

JayCee

Distinguished Member
There are a few aerial experts on the forum but you need to give a bit more info such as your location and postcode.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I have been told so many things to date:(
No doubt. Because the aerial requirement varies HUGELY between locations. One person may be able to use a coathanger. And another may only be able to get glitch-free reception with a large, amplified, rooftop array. There is no one simple answer to your question; it depends entirely on what reception conditions exist where you are.

SamRadford

Can't you make it a forum rule that people asking aerial questions should divulge their postcode etc? We waste so much server space asking
"where are you?
what's your postcode?
what aerial have you?
how high is it?
outside or inside?
have you an amplifier?
is the coax double-screened? etc." :rolleyes:

supahoops

Hi guys

Im looking for a good indoor aerial presumably with signal booster so that i can pick up freeview t.v on my built in t.v tuner (in the bedroom upstairs), can you guys recommend one?

Thanx :thumbsup:

fernandez

Distinguished Member
A quick look here
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&HT=10&OS=TW7+4BW
says you require a log periodic or an amplified hi-gain aerial, outdoor mounted at a height of 10M (depending on transmitter)
Reception conditions vary enormously so whether you'd get any decent signal on a indoor aerial is a matter for debate.
The best advice, and cheaper in the long run, has already been given - get the aerial professionally installed

aekostas

Can't you make it a forum rule that people asking aerial questions should divulge their postcode etc? We waste so much server space asking
"where are you?
what's your postcode?
what aerial have you?
how high is it?
outside or inside?
have you an amplifier?
is the coax double-screened? etc." :rolleyes:
We could have a FAQ, I suppose. No idea how this is done in AVForums.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Can't you make it a forum rule...
We could have a FAQ, I suppose.....
Sadly, the vast majority of people do not read stickys. FAQs and the like. So, I suspect it would have little effect. However, if someone is volunteering to write something really useful and accurate, I'll consider "sticking" it (!)

I'm going to delete this, and the other two posts along this line as off-topic to the thread, in a day or two.

idolm

Standard Member
Hello All,:hiya:
Sorry for the lack of info....I hope this helps?

My postcode is bs34,thats Bristol

I have a standard 10 year old aerial

It is attched to the chimney

The new aerial will be attched to the chimney

About 30f of the ground

I am using a mains operated amp for two signals...TV and PC

I believe its standard coax

If this help,what aerial should I have fitted and cable.

Thanks
:thumbsup:

SamRadford

Your existing aerial is likely to be a "Group B" which is unsuitable. Wolfbane recommends a "wideband" but I'll go further than that and suggest a log-periodic with a low-noise masthead amplifier. The reason I suggest this is that the channels cover the lower part of the UHF band down to CH22. A standard wideband "yagi" aerial has more gain at the upper end and will favour the analogue channels, which are already much stronger than the digital. A log-periodic has a flat response* so the combination of log-periodic plus amplifier will be more compatible with Freeview. It's also smaller, lighter and more suitable for chimney mounting. Note that it must be mounted in the vertical plane.

*See the graph near the bottom of this page:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/logperiodic.htm

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on which transmitter the existing installation points towards, and/or which is the best bet (if different) for Freeview.

I'd recommend getting local advice from a CAI registered installer. This may save you both and grief in the long run.

The Satcure site mentioned by Sam also has detailed info about which cable to use and how to protect it from damp which is the major killer of good tv signals

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom