Freeview Aerial Realignment? Quote

GordonEgar

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just moved into new rented accomodation and theres bad/very bad reception throughout most of the frequencies. Its a 3 story house with me in the basement.

Is it most likely that the aerial has been knocked out of alignment by a bird or something? If so how much would a callout to realign the aerial be?

Im not far from the tower at Crystal Palace... however I am worried that it might not be an alignment issue and the distance from socket to the aerial may have caused a loss in signal. Does anyone know the likelyness of this happening or whether that could be the issue instead? How far do you have to be from the aerial do you have to be to lose signal quality?

The landlord has reported "no other tenants complaining of bad signal", however im pretty certain that most of them are on Sky or Virgin from looking at the Wireless Networks available.

Any help or advice very welcome!

Suggest you go and ask the other tenants about their Freeview reception. Even if they use Sky or Virgin normally they may still be able to check ?

A booster might help, if you're lucky - but amplifying a noisy signal on the end of a long run often doesn't do anything useful.

IF you can actually see the tower a set-top aerial aimed at the white cylinder on the top might work?

My main question is how much does it cost to get a guy to come out and check?

Already got a booster from my last flat to get the signal from the front room into my bedroom. But like you say it would need to be fitted at the top of the wire if that's the case...hence a callout.

Any ideas how much to just call a guy out and either realign or fit a booster that i already got?

My main question is how much does it cost to get a guy to come out and check?

That will depend on who you ask... and ultimately what the problem is.
I would say alignment problems are rarely the cause of the problem you have, although a possible cause I regard it as unlikely.

Ask the contractor what the cost of a visit is before you commit.

Already got a booster from my last flat to get the signal from the front room into my bedroom. But like you say it would need to be fitted at the top of the wire if that's the case...hence a callout.

Any ideas how much to just call a guy out and either realign or fit a booster that i already got?

If the same aerial is being used for other tenants and they do not have a problem, then it cannot be an alignment problem, so as suggested, you do need to check on the reception of others... and/or get more information about how the aerial system is configured.
If it is an aerial system feeding many dwellings then what you are proposing is out of the question and the landlord will certainly not welcome any interference.

You should press harder on the landlord. They have responsibilities to provide decent reception.. but first be certain of your problem.

Alternatively you can try boosting at ground level as has also been suggested.

Also double check that you are not using suspect flyleads ... and disconnect all HDMI connected devices whilst checking on reception as some HDMI leads can critically kill UHF reception.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom