FreeView Aerial Location - Loft or Roof

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Aletank, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I had a Aerial fitted in my last house for FreeView the fitter said it needs to go outside for the signal.
    In my new house now I'm going to fit one myself and was wondering if it is really necessary to fit it outside.
    The aerial in my last house cost £65 Fitted so probably a £20/£30 aerial.
    I'm thinking about getting one from Argos for £50, Would this be OK fitted in the loft ?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    I could give you one of those reassuring
    no worries mate, mine's in the loft and I never get any probs with my ancient ex-Ondigital pace box
    replies. However.....I am in line of sight to a main transmitter about 30 miles away and live on top of a hill, above pretty well every other surrounding rooftop - hence my own experience.

A more accurate answer is:

It really depends on how strong and clean the signal is, where you are. Outside will always be better than inside - greater height, plus no obstacles (like tiles or slates). And a wet roof will suppress the signal more than a dry one so you may get some deterioration in bad weather. But, if you are close to, and/or in line of sight of, a main transmitter, you may get away with it.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    no worries mate, mine's in the loft and I never get any probs with my ferguson box! Not sure how much of that was down to luck however, but works fine. Fitter a mast head amplifier to the aerial for the purposes of better distribution around the house and works a treat.

The aerial i brought was the wideband one from argos - £50.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I agree with nigel.
    I live on the top floor of a 2 floor block of flats with a loft area that has the aerial in. It is an old aerial with old coax cable and gives very few dropouts. In theory I should get little or no reception with the way it is set up. But like nigel I am high up with line of site to the transmitter. My neighbour is in a bungalow with a roof aerial and gets poor Freeview reception because my block of flats is between his aerial and the transmitter. So there really is no 1 correct answer - it really does depend.

Mark.

5. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Roof.