Freeview, aerial help needed.

John Crebbin

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks I'm in need of some help as to what type of aerial to erect to receive Freeview. The more I read the more confused I'm getting. I've looked online as to which transmitters are available in our area. ( Digital UK - Coverage checker ) I'm not sure which one I should point the aerial at. Looking around the village today the few aerials I've seen, seem to be pointing eastwards to Caldbeck. My postcode id DG9 9PZ.

As for the type of aerial would a DM log periodic 26 element be sufficient? as I'm completely clueless as to what the signal strength here is.
Any help and advice will be gratefully received, thanks.

Your predictions are for
1) Cambret Hill on a bearing 61 degrees - or East Northeast approx
2) Caldbeck (English services) on a bearing of 87 degrees - or almost due East {The Scottish variants are poor/non existent predictions, as are the SD COMs}.

BOTH transmitters are horizontally polarised so aerials pointed at one may well pick up both if signal levels are adequate. Even pretty directional aerials will 'accept' sites only 20-30 degrees apart Aerial Polar Reponse Diagrams without losing much signal cf being spot on bearing.

Your suggestion of a Blake aerials DML26 (or the Vision aerials V10-36L equivalent) may work OK for Cambret Hill. But you may well require a masthead amplifier for Caldbeck. Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers
A Yagi 18K might provide a little bit more signal than the log periodics ATV Stock Aerial Tests for both transmitters and that will help with the vital signal to noise levels needed for reception!

Planning Your TV Installation is worth reading.

Finally, note that any suggestions we have here are really only 'guesstimates'. A good professional aerial installer will use a test aerial and expensive signal meters to find the signals at your home and, based on those measurements, can select the best aerial and amplifier (if needed) for the installation. However finding a good installer is never simple...

Wolfbane predictions are often very inaccurate, sadly. Only a test aerial and pro meter can be sure of the signals available - other than a receiver on a rooftop aerial in a house there ;) .

Judging by Streetview BOTH transmitters are in use with 18-ele aerials pointing in slightly different directions.

The UK's spectrum planners' predictions suggest Caldbeck can be received on some muxes - but Cambret Hill is better.

Thank all for your response, I'll have a walk around the village and see if I know anyone with a Freeview aerial on their house, and ask what setup they have. One house I have seen has three "horizontal" elements.

I've found Wolfbane to be quite reliable, such that any signal predicted to be above 30dBuV/m will be OK for a V10-36L at 10m above ground level.
(You can ignore Wolfbane's aerial and amplifier suggestions, which are invariably pessimistic in my experience.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom