Freeview aerial and multiple TV's

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by karlak, Nov 7, 2005.

1. karlak

karlak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    I need to buy a new aerial to replace our current external one. I would preferably prefer a loft installation and it will need to provide freeview. I will probably look at one of the TELEVES aerials either DAT 45 or DAT 75

I have checked on the websites and found that we are 16.5 miles from our Transmitter (Sandy Heath), and that the transmitter can provide all available channels. Which aerial would be the best for this distance. Our current aerial (Which I have already split between 3 aerials) can sometimes get a freeview signal, on a good day.

I know I want a lot :D , but also the aerial would need ideally to feed 4 televisions in the house. Is this possible just with splitters etc. I have a 4 way booster by 'one for all', but could this be a bit overkill with a aerial that is already (hopefully) providing sufficient gain.

Any help from you aerial experts would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Distance from the transmitter is not the most important factors with the digital freeview signal. It's line of sight and any obstacles between your home and transmitter, trees, hills, large buildings will affect your reception.

You say you can sometimes receive a freeview signal on your EXTERNAL aerial on a good day. Then forget the idea of a loft aerial - it most likely will not work. You will probably need a wideband external aerial with new digital screened co-axial cable. Even so - judging by your current experience you may still require signal boosters.

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

If you are feeding 4 TVs from one aerial then it would be better to get an outdoor aerial.
    It sounds like you want to fit it yourself, but you dont say.
    For 4 TVs i would get a pro to install it, as you seem to have troubles at the mo.

Nigel