Freeview aerial advice

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by steev, Dec 22, 2003.

1. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We recently got a Pace Twin and have been using it via our existing, chimney mounted, aerial. Generally it works okay, but the signal level seems a bit low and sometimes certain channels break up, usually in bad weather.

Now we are about to move into our new house next door. I've put a basic aerial in the loft, but I'm not sure it will be up to the job. I may get to try it tonight if I have time.

This is the aerial I got

Screwfix

Thinking about it, it does say 'strong signal', but I was in the middle of ordering lots of stuff and may not have read it properly. There's a weak signal version for an extra couple of quid, but I guess I can pick that up anywhere. Alternatively I think mine can take an extension. Would that be enough?

I'd prefer loft mounted for convenience, but it could go on the roof if it has to.

Would a booster help?

We're about 20 miles south of Sandy Heath if that makes a difference.

Actually I had some lectures about aerial theory on my degree course, but that was many years ago, and I didn't fully understand it then. Any pointers welcome.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    You have bought a wide band aerial. This is what is needed for the frequencies used by Sandy Heath.

As to whether it has enough gain, especially if loft-mounted, is moot. 20 miles isn't far, but it also depends on line of sight. If you could (hypothetically) see the transmitter - then you are in with a chance. If you are below a horizon, and/or there are tall buildings in between - you may not get a clean signal.

A better aerial (if needed) is always the preferred choice, as is a good external mounting.

A masthead amplifier (i.e., one that sits alongside the aerial, rather than beside the TV) may well improve things. But, if the signal is poor because it is 'dirty', an amplifier will amplify the dirt as well - which is why a better aerial and location are the most reliable choices.

3. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel,

I'll have a play tonight, if possible. So far I've only done a quick test by plugging in an old TV to check I have a signal. The important thing is that we at least have some TV over Xmas even if it's just good old analogue. Of course it will bug me if I can't watch in widescreen.

There shouldn't be too much interference from nearby buildings, but the landscape goes up and down a bit between us and Sandy.

Have a good Xmas.

4. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wondering whether you're using the UHF channels (i.e. the channels on the tele rather than input 1,2 etc)

5. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I moved the Pace box over on Xmas eve. It actually gets a stronger signal now, but the normal terrestrial is not so good. Was fine in the old house, but here it's a bit fuzzy. I haven't had a chance to fiddle with the aerial since then. Too busy for some reason.