1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

freeview advice needed.

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by evolution400, Mar 17, 2005.

1. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi guys I am have decided to install freeview in my spare room I am having a wideband arial and amp installed by an engineer I have been told to get a freeview box with a card slot ?
    I thought you dint need a card for freeview ?
    Anyway can someone clarify why I woulkd need one if it is worth getting one with a slot.
    I have been looking at the Sagem IDT 602 which I understand is the older model to the IDT60 the old model apparently has a card slot but it doens work ?
    I have a sagem TV so I would like a Sagem box if they are any good that is if not can someone recomend a good box please.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You don't need a card slot unless you want Top-Up TV which is a subscription add-on to Freeview. Best Freeview boxes in my experience are Sony and Netgem (I don't know if they have card slots as I've never looked - perhaps someone else can advise). Depending on where you live the most crucial element of your installation may be your aerial. Wideband may be the answer but in some areas a grouped aerial can give better reception. Also don't let anyone try to sell you a "digital" aerial as there is no such thing.

3. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do find that your aerial is not up to the job, i recently bought a £3 aerial from Argos, as i moved into a new house without one, thinking it would give me terrestrial at least, and it gave me all of my freeview channels. I have subsequently had an aerial fitted professionally and i have no better signal quality.

Is worth looking at what top-up tv gives you, as if you ever wanted to go that route, you would need a new box if you don't buy one with a slot!

4. netflix

netflix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used a couple of the Sagem freeview boxes and it was as flaky as you like. Might be different now. The model i bought has been out of prouction fr 6 months

5. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys I may have a look on ebay can you post a list of as many good models possible I will then have a browse on ebay :)