Freeview 7-day EPG!

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by hoyrm, Dec 4, 2004.

1. hoyrm

hoyrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve notice on this site, that there seems to be people getting 7 day EPG. My parents have two freeview STB, Hauppauge and a Pace with HDD, both program guides show only now & next information. I would have thought at least the Pace was capable of showing 7 day program guide.

Is there a site that states what areas have EPG better than ‘now & next’?

Also, what STB’s are capable of showing 7 (or more) day EPG?
    I thinking of buying a STB for my TV in the bedroom, but looking at all the boxes in Currys don’t tell you any useful info such as features like this, and the staff aren’t much more help.

The alterative is to buy a SLx4L and get my Sky, TV, FM Ariel distributed to all the rooms in my house, so I watch and operate my Sky box anywhere in the house.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The Thomson & DigiFusion Freeview + PVR boxes with hard disks seem to have this function, and I believe that some of the TV's with Freeview built-in also do it. I suspect that the cheaper set-top boxes that cannot record do not have enough memory to record a 7-day EPG.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Most freeview boxes will do the enhanced EPG irrespective of whether they have the ability to record or not. Those that cannot are either old/unsupported by their manufacturers or will have the functionality added in the future.

I can say for sure that the Pace Twin (HDD) can do the enhanced EPG. The latest software provided 7 day, the one before that was either 4 day or a very slow, ie unusable, 7 day. Make sure that you have accepted the latest software upgrade if you wish to have this feature. A word of warning, some people have noticed that the latter versions can be less reliable whilst others, myself included, have seen the software is much more reliable with the latter versions. Many poeple have not had any problems at all with either. There are other threads both here and on digitalspy.co.uk that discuss the pro's anc cons.

The enhanced EPG is currently being rolled out across the regions. If it is not available now, it is only a matter of time.

If you are thinking of purchasing in the future, and will be using the EPG alot, be aware that use of the data is not standardised, and one manufacturers implementation will be different to anothers. Some will be better and/or faster.

-Ian

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    The Sony VTX-D800U has 7 Day EPG.

Cheapest place to buy one is usually Amazon (Free delivery)

A quality product with a great picture !

Mark.

5. hoyrm

hoyrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does all areas have 7 EPG or is still being roll out?

6. hoyrm

hoyrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just come from my parents. Tried their Pace box EPG and it did show 7 days, but it's very slow getting the info, we're talking minutes. Is that usual?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The 7-day EPG comes from data on one of the teletext channels. Some boxes store the data and can access it quickly, others access the data live and can take longer.

8. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The standard Freeview EPG data, as used by the Pace, is carried in its own stream on all muxes and not as "Teletext" data.

As I understand it, the Pace is just slow to load that data. My Sony VTX-D800U loads the EPG almost instantly (thanks to caching) and updates fairly quickly (within seconds).

Nick_UK is referring to the "4TV" EPG data that is broadcast overnight on a specific mux and used solely by some Fusion and Thomson boxes, I believe.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    With the Pace boxes, at least the DTVA and Twin, the EPG is loaded on the fly and cached. As long as the box is not put in standby, the EPG data should persist and load much quicker/instant next time. For some reason, some people have reported that this is not always the case. The other thing with the Pace twin is that the later software is *much* quicker. If you have the ability to 'got next/prev day while in the EPG (green and yellow button), then you have the quicker version of the EPG. The previous version was to be honest, unusable.

To speed up initial loading of EPG data for a particular channel, make sure you are watching either the channel that you are interested in, or another one on the same MUX. The other tip is to have a subset of channels/favorites to prevent the EPG getting too full.

-Ian

10. hoyrm

hoyrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah that'll explain why all the BBC channels appeared quicker than the rest. My Dad brought the Pace when they first released the hard drive version. So I guess he's got the slow version. Anyway Thanks for the info.

How does the Pioneer dbrtf100 compare to the Sony vtxd800u?

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    All Pace twin boxes are sold with the original firmware, even ones that you buy now. Like other manufacturers, Pace will regularly transmit, say monthly (although some are repeats of earlier versions), updated firmware for free download over the air. If tuned to BBC1 whilst a period that the download is being broadcast, the Pace box would normally detect the update and ask if it is to be installed. If it does not appear, you can perform a manual update during this period. Updates details are available on the Pace free to air website although they only seem to keep this information updated as a transmission becomes close. There is also a mailing list you can join. The last download was between 29 Nov and 1st Dec.

-Ian

12. hoyrm

hoyrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, Dad usually updates the box, but only when he sees annoncement. I guess I'm just too use to the slick user interface of Sky.

13. Chris_F

Chris_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if Thomson have plans to support the Freeview EPG in the future? I understand that the Freeview EPG is constantly kept up to date where the "4TV" EPG is updated at 3 am each night. If this is correct, I guess the Freeview EPG is better, but do either provide a 'PDC type' function ala Video Plus?

Thanks