Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Freeview 4:3 vs 16:9

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by newbiebie, Aug 24, 2005.

1. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noob question: are the Freeview channels BBCx, ITV1, Channel4, Five really broadcast as 16:9? I can set my STB to output 16:9 (or 4:3), so would like to know if 16:9 is a stretch of a 4:3 broadcast or the real thing?

I have the Thomson DHD4000.

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    They are broadcast as 16:9 or 15:9 - if you have a 16:9 screen then it'll look best set to that :)

3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I am not sure all the Freeview ITV channels are consistant. I use a Panasonic box set to 4:3 hooked up to a 4:3 set in the bedroom. All channels are the correct ratio (usually 14:9) except ITV2 and ITV3 which not only remain 'squashed' but have a black border as well. No idea why this is so. I have to say I am using the RF output as the tv is old and has no SCARTS. I sent an Email to ITV technical for an explanation. They Emailed me back asking for my Email address so they could contact me !!!!! Needless to say i have heard nothing since.

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Never underestimate the power of "tech support" :rotfl:

5. Sin-Tex

Sin-Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is down to your TV & Eqiupment your using, both my tele's Panasonic Square & Thoshiba Widescreen have Auto Aspect Ration ( i.e they both do 4:3 & Widescreen ). So whatever the channel/ programme is being broadcast in be it 4:3 or Widescreen that is how the image comes out.

However this also can be affected by other equipement attached to your TV i.e Digital Terrestrial or Digital Satellite.

Some of the older Digital Terrestrial boxes back from the OnDig & ITV days did not have a proper Auto Aspect & so some programmes looked odd/ streched when they came on so you had to go into the settings & alter it between 4:3 & 16:9 etc.

The newer boxes don't have this problem i know that the Daewoo box if used on a 4:3 tele in Daewoo box setup put TV Type 4:3/ Widescreen Full Frame.
    And whatever you then watch on the Digital Terrestrial will come out in the correct scale format.

As for Dig Satellite to insure that always come out in the correct aspect ratio, goto Services- System Setup- Picture Settings & put both Picture Format & Second Location Pciture Format to 16:9.
    Then if a prog is in 4:3 it still comes out in 4:3 or the various types of widescreen if broadcast in those.

6. newbiebie

newbiebie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your replies. I've set the box to output 16/9 on my 16/9 screen and I can see most channel properly displayed - with the exception of the ITV2, 3 and sometimes E4 whereby the box does soem strange thing with the signal (it's almost like a 3/4 signal, not even a 4/3, probably the same as what Mike described above). I use a custom stretch to view these with the correct ratios).
    Cheers.