1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview’s first anniversary coming up, but could it turn into "PayView"

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by PhilipVass, Oct 23, 2003.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/ThisWeek.News.View.aspx?ContentID=10761

It was only a matter of time before we would be stuck with BBC channels, looks like our time has come Ftn,UK History,TMF will all be premiums if this happens. :thumbsdow

Any One else angry about this?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not quite sure how you're making the leap from one company wanting to offer pay services on the existing spare channel space (i.e. space that isn't being used by Ftn, UK History, TMF), to assuming the current non-BBC FTA channels will suddenly become PTV.

Besides, to make any new pay service work, they're going to have to offer programmes people will WANT to pay to watch - and that doesn't describe any of Ftn, UK History or TMF's programming at present. They're fine for free, but I think they'd actually lose large amounts of their audiences (which probably aren't all that large now) if they went subscription.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    They won't become pay channels because people won't pay.

With three devices they can bog off if they think I would subscribe.

I have a CAM for the TV and I could get some cards off the Internet if necessary

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may have been said before but what they can do is create new compatible digital receivers and the company could offer a free box and card to watch more channels.

By compressing the multiplexes they could easily offer 6 or 7 'pay lite' channels like Film Four.

A heavily advertised campaign could be successful and people could continue to watch 30 free services from their existing boxes.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Huge initial investment by any company wanting to lauch a pay service on dsat. The exisitng boxes security wise are useless and with SKY still giving away digiboxes for new subscribers why would anyone even consider buying a DTT box for pay TV!

Maybe DTT could get away with over compressed channels when ON/ITV digital were running the show but what is a potential customer going to say when they switch from a BBC channel (Good quality on DTT) onto a new pay channel that even on a good day is obviously poor PQ wise. You would think that any PAY platform would look at the crap quality of the defunct ITVsport channel and realise that had to have an impact on subscriber numbers.

Personally I hope they get told to sling their hook, Freeview is ticking along nicely and certainly the no subscription cornerstone of DTT is a positive marketing tool.
    Introduce a PAY element will lead to confusion and an open hostility by millions who will never consider any platfrom that has the word subscription included even if that is only an option.

6. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I read a article in a Marketing magazine a few weeks ago that led me to believe that sky will offer a free channel (a sky one type_ on freeview within the next 12months. They regard the platform as a serious threat not just because it may cost them subscriptions but more importantly if freeview gets 4 million viewers in the next year then the potential advertising revenues will make a free channel with strong content very possible and sky will want that ad revenue.

I don't think the BBC will want to have pay channels on the service as it would mess up the brand. However they ought to sort out there own channels if they want to keep viewers when sky get stuck in.

I have to say though that even with its limitations freeview is the best thing to happen in broadcasting since Channel 4 launched. Now where's that BBC4 schedule so I can plan the weekend's viewing.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    SKY will definetly want to expand their three channels on Freeview over the next few years and no doubt one of them will become a full general entertainment channel.
    As the potential audience increases the advertising revenues also increase which will make the platfrom more attractive to many channels both new and those already on satellite.
    However there will never be more viewers on DTT than there are already on analogue so it's hard to imagine how there could be any significant increase in advertising revenues based on that fact.
    With a dozen or more channels attempting to attract a similar audience and therefore the same adverts the money is just going to be spread further around. While an upturn in the economy will increase advertising spending (which has been low the past few years) it's still a stretch to see DTT being more profitable for a channel than being within a PAY package.

THE big bonus of course especially for SKY is that if they wait for a few years until analogue shut down they will have exactly the same potential audience on terrestrial as the BBC and ITV have now and it will cost them peanuts compared to buying FIVE from RTL which has long been a rumour.

8. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly off the slate a bit but i see THe Hits has just turned one this week, which was one of EMAP's creations for Freeview which was first thought to be The Box.

To celebrate they have added all the songs since launch day and buy one get one free on video selections not forgetting to mention the larger than normal dog.