freeveiw PVR what to choose?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Bearded_Malc, Apr 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm planning to buy a freeview PVR in the next month or so. What do I choose? I'd like to be able to archive recordings onto DVD or dump to ethernet to my PC and then to DVD. Twin tuners is a must. As far as I can see my current model options are:

Topfield, £300, plus £60 to go from usb to ethernet.
    Panasonic, £230, no usb/lan, add external DVDr
    Fusion FVRT200, £180 no usb/lan, add external DVDr
    Inverto, £220, no usb/lan(?), add external DVDr

I don't like the external DVDr since that will degrade the PQ given that the 2nd scart is almost always CBVS, although some are s-video so perhaps that wouldn't be too bad. The other option is to plan to replace with the FVRT1000 (combined freeview PVR and DVDr due out november). The topfield seems expensive and assume that the FVRT1000 is about £200 then I could get a FVRT200 now and a FVRT1000 in november for the same price more or less.

From what I read here there are some issues on the topfield and panasonic too. FVRT200 is untried and so is Inverto since they are not out yet.

Have I missed anything?

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Humax PVR-9200T, but don't hold your breath.

3. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend the Topfield, I wouldn't be without mine now :D

Great to sit down at a time of my choosing and watch all those things I never have time to watch (if you get my drift :) )

4. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The Humax PVR-9200T is out of my time frame. They say mid 2005 but someone had an email from them saying Aug-Sept which sounds as though it might be more the truth. I want one before then and if not I'd wait for the fusion twin with DVDr.

The topfield is interesting. It's a shame it needs another 60 quid for a lan interface and it is half as much again as any other PVR so over priced IMO. I think I prefer the FVRT200 now plus FVRT1000 at xmas option which I think would be about the same cost. Still I'm not ruling the topfield out.

5. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908

for your interest i have (sadly)tried every pvr to date
    i wanted one to replace my pace twin which i have had for 2 years cost me £300.
    the fusion was not bad but fan noise was ridiculous and of course it has the known problem of switched audio left from right right from left.
    thomson kept locking when trying to chase play,small hdd..
    panasonic hdd very noisey all the time,very slow responce,poor epgbut very good chase play as pace twin.
    i now have topfield which apart from quirks is reliable,if it does crash it resets itself,large hdd,no fan,easy upload and download to pc good feedback available via turbosat,apparently there is already a update being written after only a week to include bookmarks etc

Gary :smashin: :smashin: