Freesync (standard) on LG TVs with RTX 3080

chapchap2727

Standard Member
Hi all, This LG* has HDMI 2.1 and can do 120hz/4k and has had the standard Freesync implemented recently. When i use it is it a case that Freesync will only work 48-75Hz range so if i want to use Freesync i need to cap all games at 75?

What would happen if a game could play at 100-120 range- would there be tearing? If yes, would i need to use Vsync as well as Freesync and would v sync cap the fps to 60 ?

Sorry i am a bit confused lol

*LG 65UN85006LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV with Google Assistant & Amazon Alexa

basserphil

this tv does not support vrr......it may do in the future if lg allow it? the hdmi ports are allegedly able to support vrr, its just lg who have not done so, it does support allm and hgig for console gaming....so dont buy it if you really need vrr.

chapchap2727

Standard Member
this tv does not support vrr......it may do in the future if lg allow it? the hdmi ports are allegedly able to support vrr, its just lg who have not done so, it does support allm and hgig for console gaming....so dont buy it if you really need vrr.
It did get a firmware update which implemented Freesync and until recently the LG website started it did VRR but currently nothing in the menu regarding Freesync. LG support tell me it doesn’t it it and then say it does so it’s confusing. All I know is i cannot switch it on. I suspect LG don’t want to give it Freesync as why buy a nano for several hundred more when this does it all.

next010

Distinguished Member
It did get a firmware update which implemented Freesync and until recently the LG website started it did VRR but currently nothing in the menu regarding Freesync. LG support tell me it doesn’t it it and then say it does so it’s confusing. All I know is i cannot switch it on. I suspect LG don’t want to give it Freesync as why buy a nano for several hundred more when this does it all.

Freesync over HDMI is only supported by AMD GPU's.

The TV must support G-Sync compatible mode to work with Nvidia.

PC monitors are different as Freesync over Displayport is really 'Vesa Adaptive Sync' this is what Nvidia supports. But Freesync over HDMI is a custom inhouse AMD solution not supported by Nvidia.

The usable Freesync range is probably 40-120Hz like on other LG TV's, so to use the full range you need an AMD GPU outputting 120hz at 1080p, 1440p or 2160p (4K).

Now whether LG really added support for Freesync via firmware update, the only way to know for sure is to get a PC with an AMD GPU and the driver will report if Freesync is present.

chapchap2727

Standard Member
Freesync over HDMI is only supported by AMD GPU's.

The TV must support G-Sync compatible mode to work with Nvidia.

PC monitors are different as Freesync over Displayport is really 'Vesa Adaptive Sync' this is what Nvidia supports. But Freesync over HDMI is a custom inhouse AMD solution not supported by Nvidia.

The usable Freesync range is probably 40-120Hz like on other LG TV's, so to use the full range you need an AMD GPU outputting 120hz at 1080p, 1440p or 2160p (4K).

Now whether LG really added support for Freesync via firmware update, the only way to know for sure is to get a PC with an AMD GPU and the driver will report if Freesync is present.
Freesync works with HDMI 2.1

next010

Distinguished Member
Freesync works with HDMI 2.1

I think your confusing AMD Freesync and HDMI Forum VRR (does same thing as Freesync) which is part of the HDMI 2.1 specification.

If the TV only supports Freesync then it only works with AMD GPU's.

If the TV supports HDMI Forum VRR then it might work with Nvidia RTX GPU's, as they support HDMI VRR as G-Sync compatible mode but with a bunch of caveats.

Officially Nvidia only support G-Sync compatible mode on certified displays, some of LG's TV's are certified and some are not but share the same chipset as those that are so you can force on G-Sync compatible mode.

If the TV doesn't support HDMI Forum VRR then the Nvidia GPU will never be able to use G-Sync.

Do you see the option to enable G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel ?

chapchap2727

Standard Member
I think your confusing AMD Freesync and HDMI Forum VRR (does same thing as Freesync) which is part of the HDMI 2.1 specification.

If the TV only supports Freesync then it only works with AMD GPU's.

If the TV supports HDMI Forum VRR then it might work with Nvidia RTX GPU's, as they support HDMI VRR as G-Sync compatible mode but with a bunch of caveats.

Officially Nvidia only support G-Sync compatible mode on certified displays, some of LG's TV's are certified and some are not but share the same chipset as those that are so you can force on G-Sync compatible mode.

If the TV doesn't support HDMI Forum VRR then the Nvidia GPU will never be able to use G-Sync.

Do you see the option to enable G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel ?
Well it is confusing lol It’s 2020 rolling into 2021 so why they can’t sort this nonsense out would be great. The LG in question is a 2020 model ( which had a firmware update in November to use Freesync) and a RTX 30380 so uptodate tech.

No nothing in TV menu for Freesync so nothing in NCP sadly.

If the TV is not certified I understand a DisplayPort should work- would a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI adapter rated at 4K120Hz work? The TV doesn’t have DisplayPorts lol

next010

Distinguished Member
Well it is confusing lol It’s 2020 rolling into 2021 so why they can’t sort this nonsense out would be great. The LG in question is a 2020 model ( which had a firmware update in November to use Freesync) and a RTX 30380 so uptodate tech.

No nothing in TV menu for Freesync so nothing in NCP sadly.

If the TV is not certified I understand a DisplayPort should work- would a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI adapter rated at 4K120Hz work? The TV doesn’t have DisplayPorts lol

Well this likely stems from the UN8500 being a not entirely premium model which never had any of this tech out of the box but the core chipset in the TV does.

If you go up the ladder to the NANO85 and NANO90 series you get HDMI-VRR, G-Sync & Freesync support.

If LG only added Freesync via firmware update to the UN8500 that means it only works with AMD hardware.

To use Freesync over HDMI would require Nvidia purchasing a license from AMD, they are not going do that so your RTX-3080 is of no use for Freesync.

A DP to HDMI is of no use, Freesync cannot be translated that way.

chapchap2727

Standard Member
Thank you very much for the clarity. I was hoping someone like you ( who knows their onions :) )would be able to help me clear it up.

I will keep the UN8500* and try to figure out how to game at 120hz without VRR- I have ideas how to do that :)

* I could afford a CX but love a good deal so will pocket the 1k i saved. As for the Nanos they don’t seem much better than the UN8500 and cost 300/400 more just for VRR.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you very much for the clarity. I was hoping someone like you ( who knows their onions :) )would be able to help me clear it up.

I will keep the UN8500* and try to figure out how to game at 120hz without VRR- I have ideas how to do that :)

* I could afford a CX but love a good deal so will pocket the 1k i saved. As for the Nanos they don’t seem much better than the UN8500 and cost 300/400 more just for VRR.

Theres the fast sync option in NV control panel which might help or disable vsync in games, if you have high enough FPS you may not notice any tearing.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom