Freesports

depot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The Freesports channel is gone from freesat, that’s a shame I’ll miss it.

Have you tried a rescan? Channel 252....still showing for me(lg lcd tv with built in freesat tuner)

Rescanned my LG and no channel 252 found, but plugged my old skybox in and there it is lol, freesports resurrected. Must be something wrong with my tv

Mmmm seems strange....mind you everything seems up in the air at the moment...freeview HD have lost some HD channels about four as the transmitters have been sold off to the government ready for 5g I believe.

It's not the transmitters, it's the frequency allocation that's been sold off for 5G.

It’s strange that it’s gone from my LG but is available on the sky box, there both using the same dish, the WiFi board stopped working awhile ago, maybe something else is failing.

It's not the transmitters, it's the frequency allocation that's been sold off for 5G.
Thank you for correcting me....bet you just scan the forums correcting everyone.

its gone from freesat.... apparently fees dispute or something.....its still broadcasting, and a sky box will list it...but it wont appear on freesat epg any more, unless dispute between them is resolved.

pity...i have an lg tv, and i have freesports hd on at least one point in the day.

its gone from freesat.... apparently fees dispute or something.....its still broadcasting, and a sky box will list it...but it wont appear on freesat epg any more, unless dispute between them is resolved.

pity...i have an lg tv, and i have freesports hd on at least one point in the day.
Damn that’s a shame, lucky I still have my old sky box

its a shame these lg tv's dont let us have freesat and freesat epg, and then add extra free to air satellite channels ourselves like can be done on a sky box.

yes..but then you lose the freesat line up / numbers and the full epg
i meant to tune freesat...and then add non freesat channels as extra channels...like on a sky box

yes..but then you lose the freesat line up / numbers and the full epg
i meant to tune freesat...and then add non freesat channels as extra channels...like on a sky box
You cannot add channels to the Sky EPG (only channels that pay to be on the Sky EPG can be listed (which at present is all FTA channels). You can add channels to other channels to view them but they will not appear on the EEPG - "other channels" is Sky's equivalent of non Freesat mode. Many channels believe that the fee Freesat charge is not value for money considering the number of Freesat customers compared to Sky - £36k per year for less than 3 million viewees on Freesat compared to Sky at £75k for over 10 million (sibscribers and non subscribers using Sky boxes).

I have manually tuned to receive free sports on my Freesat box but on an identical box in another room it will not add the channel, the search says 4 found at the frequency but adds 3 , any ideas please

You cannot add channels to the Sky EPG (only channels that pay to be on the Sky EPG can be listed (which at present is all FTA channels). You can add channels to other channels to view them but they will not appear on the EEPG - "other channels" is Sky's equivalent of non Freesat mode. Many channels believe that the fee Freesat charge is not value for money considering the number of Freesat customers compared to Sky - £36k per year for less than 3 million viewees on Freesat compared to Sky at £75k for over 10 million (sibscribers and non subscribers using Sky boxes).

Interested in the source of those costs?
The viewing figures are out of date - last BARB report says under 1.1m Freesat viewers and 8.5m Sky subscribers . Ex subscribers are included in their figures for "other satellite" equipment.

Hi Dave , I’ve added free sports though the non Freesat channel search and it works in my lounge but on an identical Freesat box in the bedroom the manual add channels search finds the 4 channels at the frequency but adds 3 of them and free sports is the 1 it won’t add , doesn’t add it it to epg only non Freesat channel list , but any ideas as to why 1 Manhattan box will add and 1 won’t , both had boxes

Thank you for correcting me....bet you just scan the forums correcting everyone.
Nope. Only those who are wrong when they may become factoids:rotfl:

Last edited:
Just another good reason to go the Enigma2 route.
Having previously gone there myself, I don’t agree. Way too much effort to set up and constant fiddling. Setting up recordings is a pain in a*** in comparison to clicking on an epg.

Interested in the source of those costs?
The viewing figures are out of date - last BARB report says under 1.1m Freesat viewers and 8.5m Sky subscribers . Ex subscribers are included in their figures for "other satellite" equipment.
The sources(both Freesat's and Sky's own websites) for the EPG fees were widely publicised in forums (particularly DS) when Freesat raised its initial £30k fee to £36k which caused Channel 4 to remove 4HD etc from Freesat.

My subscriber figures were personal extrapolations from the same time and if now correct show that Freesat is even worse value for money to broadcasters and why new ones are not joining and some leaving. My figures also allow for users of Freesat who only have it as secondary sources to Sky whereas BARB I believe only quote primary viewing source

Last edited:
I found a webpage saying sky charges £21k per annum per channel this was in 2018, it seems surprising to me that channel 4HD couldn’t afford £36k. I don’t know how freesports makes it’s money, so it might Not be able to afford it. Still it doesn’t seem like a lot of money to be available to over a million homes.

I found a webpage saying sky charges £21k per annum per channel this was in 2018, it seems surprising to me that channel 4HD couldn’t afford £36k. I don’t know how freesports makes it’s money, so it might Not be able to afford it. Still it doesn’t seem like a lot of money to be available to over a million homes.
Freesat changed their charging policy in 2018 when they switched to charging varying amounts based on the channels viewing figures.

it seems surprising to me that channel 4HD couldn’t afford £36k.
Rumour is that they pulled out in a fit of peek over the increase in EPG listing fees.

With so many companies being forced to make cutbacks in the pandemic, it's no surprise Freesports has & they are owned by subscription sports media company Premier & sports have been mostly stopped like skys problems with the lack of sports.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom