• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesatfromsky on 2 boxes?

nathanannand

:)Hello, many thanks in advance if anyone can help?

A couple of weeks ago I eventually got through to sky to cancel my subscription with them. It runs out in a week, have a std dish and a normal box (centre blue sky logo). We are looking at going with freesatfrom sky for the £20 viewing card. However what would I need to do to run a 2nd box with freesat from sky, currently dont have multiroom. Would I need to change the PVR and run 2nd lead, buy another box and a 2nd viewing card? Is this possible?

ANy help greatly appreciated? Anyone done exactly this?

Cheers

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
"....have a std dish and a normal box... "

"...Would I need to change the PVR..." - What PVR?

Do you mean LNB? If so, yes.

"...and run 2nd lead, buy another box and a 2nd viewing card? Is this possible?...." Yes, yes.

Neil

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Your existing subscription card will become a freesatfromsky card when the subscription expires.
If you wish to run another box you will need to take another feed from the LNB to the new box.
If it's only a single output LNB on your dish this will have to be replaced with a quad(4) output type and there would then be 2 spare outputs.
You will also a require another freesatfromsky card for this box.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the PVR

nathanannand

Guys, thanks for the help, my apologies for totally getting my abbreviations around the wrong way, yes I meant LNB!!! Doh!!

SO Im going to get another box, a Quad LNB, freesatfromsky viewing cards a new lead (for the 2nd box) and bobs your uncle?!

Thanks for the help

fernandez

Distinguished Member
SO Im going to get another box, a Quad LNB, freesatfromsky viewing cards a new lead (for the 2nd box) and bobs your uncle?!

Remember - only one new freesatfromsky card is needed - save yourself £20
I said in my original answer:
"Your existing subscription card will become a freesatfromsky card when the subscription expires."

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Remember - only one new freesatfromsky card is needed - save yourself £20
I said in my original answer:
"Your existing subscription card will become a freesatfromsky card when the subscription expires."

Your exsting card will NOT become a FreesatFromSky card - it will act as one until new encryption is used by Sky and they change the viewing cards when ex sub cards will cease working as FSFS cards. Genuine FSFS cards are guaranteed for a minimum of 3 years (5 years if supplied as part of a system) and would be replaced with new cards, ex sub cards will NOT be automatically replaced you will need a new FSFS card. The change is due shortly according to rumour and the fact that activation codes and card ids (caids) are already being broadcast for a next generation card.

Last edited:

nathanannand

Guys cheers again.

Right priced this up now

Another Sky Box £25-£30ish
2 freesatfromsky cards £40
Quad LNB and cabling fittings etc £15 quid
Plus 2 hours work I reckon

£85 anyone got any alternatives to get free digital Tv in 2 rooms for this price? Having a proper cut back in these :rolleyes:harsh times?!?!:rolleyes: ha ha!!

nathanannand

but could get away with 65quid until the ohte card is voided?

Next question If I did the FSFS route, setanta subscription is still the full setanta isnt it? and is that to a specific card or the address??

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom