Freesat

beanyboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can I ask please for a bit of guidance on Freesat.I am after a new TV , probably a PZ 80,81,85 or 800 .

Having been on this Site, once this is to refresh:-

I am using Sky channels (all except Films and Sport, to keep cost down) .Will I be any better off getting a new TV with Freesat OR

ditching Sky and getting a separate Freesat Box .

I already have Freeview on a DVD Recorder.

what is the best combination to go for do ye reckon?

I appreciate that i can't yet record HD on to the DVD Rec: but hopefully will do when the recorders become available.

Can I ask please for a bit of guidance on Freesat.I am after a new TV , probably a PZ 80,81,85 or 800 .

Having been on this Site, once this is to refresh:-

I am using Sky channels (all except Films and Sport, to keep cost down) .Will I be any better off getting a new TV with Freesat OR

ditching Sky and getting a separate Freesat Box .

I already have Freeview on a DVD Recorder.

what is the best combination to go for do ye reckon?

I appreciate that i can't yet record HD on to the DVD Rec: but hopefully will do when the recorders become available.

Why not buy a cheaper TV and go for Sky+ HD?

It costs just £75 plus £30 installation when you take up the £10 per month HD mix.You will then receive all non-premium HD channels and also be able to record HD.

If you wait for the Freesat HD Recorder, it is bound to cost a lot at launch.

First of all, what channels do you actually want to receive?

I believe you have a SKY subscription, but not for the premium channels. So which of these channels do you actually watch?

Then check what channels are available on Freeview and Freesat.

If everything you watch is available on Freeview, that is your cheapest option. You dont need SKY, nor Freesat, you already have a Freeview DVD recorder, so just get a Panny Z80 or Z85, and ditch SKY.

If you want to keep the SKY subscription, then do you want SKY HD, if so, as the previous post says, get the SKY+ HD box...., and then get Z80 or Z85.

If everything you want is on Freesat AND you want to watch some HD programs (BBC HD, ITV HD), ditch SKY and get Z81.

:smashin:

Many thanks Carman and of course Rewerb once again.

Can you confirm that if I got a Sky HD Box or a Sky PLUS HD Box , would I be able to record HD programmes?

Also having gone to my local John Lewis today to audition the Panny sets they only had a TH 42 and 46 PZ81B .

They looked very good and the price did'nt seem all that bad either at £899.00 . Do you not think that 81b is as good then as the 80 or the 85.

Cheers guys.

Many thanks Carman and of course Rewerb once again.

Can you confirm that if I got a Sky HD Box or a Sky PLUS HD Box , would I be able to record HD programmes?

Also having gone to my local John Lewis today to audition the Panny sets they only had a TH 42 and 46 PZ81B .

They looked very good and the price did'nt seem all that bad either at £899.00 . Do you not think that 81b is as good then as the 80 or the 85.

Cheers guys.

If you get the Sky plus HD box and pay the £10 per month for the Sky HD mix, you will be able to view and record the HD versions of channels in your present subscription, as well as BBC HD and the other free HD channels, assuming you keep your present subscription.

Sky.com - Sky Products>Sky TV>Sky+HD>What Can I Watch?

I'm sorry, I don't know enough about the Panasonics to comment.

The 80, 81 and 85 are all very similar picture quality (same panel, same contrast ratio, Vreal3.. etc..).
The 80 is the base model, with fewest bells and whistles,
the 85 has better sound, digital audio output, IFC, different HDMI layout (third HDMI at the side, not the front), different style..
The 81 has the HDMI layout and sound of the 80, plus IFC, digital audio out, plus the Freesat tuner, Picture-inPicture, and plays video from an SD card.

The JL price for the Z81 (£899) is very good indeed and it includes their free 5 yr guarantee. The Z85 is only a few quid cheaper now (JL dont sell it) but you wont get a free 5yr guarantee
The Z80 you can get from Argos for £715 with free 3 yrs guarantee(JL dont sell it)

If you intend to get SKY+ HD then the PZ80 is fine to go with this.
If you have SKY then you do not need the Freesat tuner in the Z81, but you could consider the Z81 if you want the extra features (Picture-inPicture is a nice feature which shows two sources on the TV at the same time)

Apologies guys (Carman and Rewerb) for the late acknowedgement. Been busy busy.... but very many thanks again , You guys are a boon.

I am still nervous and dithering over the best buy.

My purse tells me PZ80... but being a worrier I say to myself, am I missing out on anything really important by not going for the 85B or even the 800B. I shan't be buying another T/v for a few years ( if ever ! )and on fixed incomes every penny counts.

I'll try and figure it out and as I said I really appreciate your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom