• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat with Sky dish

3000cc

Standard Member
Would appreciate some guidance.

I would like to replace my sky HD box with a freesat HD digital recorder box so that I have the same easy recording features the sky box offers without the subscription. Questions:

1) Can this be done from a sky dish?
2) What is the best digital recording box, quite like the look of the new samsung one?
3) Can I link that box to more than 1 tv in the house so that i can watch recorded programmes on any tv. If so how many Tvs can I link up.

4) Is there anything else i should know?

Thanks
Graham

Tim B

Standard Member
HI Graham.

1. Yes easy
2. Humax with "improvements"
3. Humax has 1 HDMI & 2 scart but with "improvements" can be streamed over a network.

Do the research on other threads for more info.

Cheers

logiciel

Welcome to AVF Graham.
The channels that you get on Freesat are also on Sky, so they come through the same dish.
Here are the 13 current models of Freesat PVRs, for you to compare before making a choice: freesat+ HD TV recorder - freesat.
They have Scart outputs, so you could use either wireless videosenders or cable with IR extenders to send the current channel to other TVs.
HTH but let us know if there are any questions - Logi

Mr_Fantastic

Established Member
It might be worth looking at a HTPC with a dual tuner DVB-S2 card. You could also add a DVB-T2 card if you wanted one. Then you would have a media centre which could play many different media types from multiple sources. It would give you a much better 7 day EPG as well if set up right.

Those would cost more but would be far more versatile.

I would build one if I had the cash available. But I have to settle for my PC which does the same thing with a much bigger case.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Would appreciate some guidance.

I would like to replace my sky HD box with a freesat HD digital recorder box so that I have the same easy recording features the sky box offers without the subscription. Questions:

1) Can this be done from a sky dish?
2) What is the best digital recording box, quite like the look of the new samsung one?
3) Can I link that box to more than 1 tv in the house so that i can watch recorded programmes on any tv. If so how many Tvs can I link up.

4) Is there anything else i should know?

Thanks
Graham

4) make sure you know which channels you will be getting by looking at the freesat site.

Mr_Fantastic

Established Member

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member

The problem with that site it lists all the FTA channels that are viewable in both freesat and non-freesat modes and NOT just the freesat ones that can be recorded easily from the EPG and those not on the EPG would need manual recordings in non-freesat mode.

logiciel

That's the basic point about Freesat - it IS the EPG.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom