Freesat with Sky dish media centre

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DM3000, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DM3000

DM3000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've just moved into a new flat which has a sky dish (oval shaped) and dual LNB (2x coax running into the lounge room). I've toyed with the idea of building my own Freesat windows media centre for a while but figured now is the perfect time.

I've read around the forum but sort of have more questions now than i did before so just wanted to ask a few questions before running out and buying kit:

1) Can I use my Sky dish for freesat? Will i get all the freesat channels?

2) Does anyone know if this is a decent card (Dual DVB-S2), will it do what I'm after or would people recommend something different?
    DVBSky S952 DVB-S2 twin dual tuner card, low profile, PCIe satellite HDTV, brand new M88DS3103 chipset (less power consumption, Auto FEC, Hardware Blindscan, etc)!: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

3) Should I be thinking about anything else?

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

Tarran

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Freesat is the name of the company that exists to provide an Electronic Programme Guide to those broadcasters of free channels that pay to be on it.
    That is available on only receivers, personal video recorders, and TVs, that the company authorises.
    A satellite tuner card will not normally give the FS EPG but it will give all the channels that are on it, and all the other free channels.
    Your dish will be fine and you'll need to use only one of the two connections from it.
    Here are details of the three usual methods of getting the free satellite channels:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1307423-free-satellite-freesatfromsky-freesat.html

3. DM3000

DM3000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi logiciel,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

I had previously read the article you posted and that is what confused me a bit. I wasn't sure if that meant to use the sky dish i would have to get FreeSatFromSky or it would still work fine.

I believe MCE (Win 7) downloads EPG via the internet, so if the satellite tuner card will give all the free channels; then should that be OK?

I want to be able to pause live TV; so to do that, wouldn't I need both connections into the MCE?

Many thanks,
    Tarran

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    You will get all the free to air channels, Freesat is an epg not a transmitter of programme content. The type of dish isn't relevant. What Logi is saying is that officially only genuine Freesat boxes can get the epg just as Sky boxes get the Sky epg. Any free to air box, pc card can view the free to air content. What type of programme guide you can use is down to the software not the dish and lnb.

5. DM3000

DM3000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great - thanks guys for clarification and your patience. Very helpful.

All the best,
    Tarran

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    That's OK, and the idea of the fixed thread is to explain that there are several types of machine for viewing free satellite channels, but the one type of dish will work with any of them.
    It's time it was brought up to date so we'll emphasie that point when we edit.
    Computer programs may download an EPG, but that's not likely to be the Freesat EPG.
    The only reason for having two connections from the dish is to allow two tuners to work at the same time, so that you can record one channel while watching another.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012