Freesat vs Astra - same channels?

london1981

Novice Member
I am thinking of canceling my Sky subscription and am looking into Freesat instead.

There are some channels I want to make sure I can continue to receive and from what I can tell they are on the Astra (28.2) platform (www.astra.ses).

My questions are:

1. Does Freesat carry all the same channels as Astra 28.2 or only a subset of the Astra channels? (I can't see the channels I want on the Freesat website but then I can't see all channels on the Sky website yet they still carry them...)

2. If Freesat does not carry all the same channels as Astra 28.2, what is the best box to get the Astra channels?

3. I have an old Sky+ box which I kept after upgrading to SkyQ, will it enable me to get all the Astra 28.2 channels? Or do I need a new card, or something else?

4. I already have a Sky dish - I assume this is already pointing at Astra 28.2E - is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

logiciel

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You might be better using Freeview if you have an aerial.
If you really need satellite you may need to replace Sky Q’s LNB.
Sky and Freesat both cover all channels on 28 East.
Sky encrypt some of them.
A Sky receiver without a card will cover all the rest.
Of course cards are needed only for decryption.
A FS receiver will also cover all free channels but in a better order.
The FS website will find you all the channels and receivers.

rs101

If you get the new Freesat 4k box, then it'll work with the Q LNB.
Even if a channel isn't on the Freesat EPG, you can still view it on the 4k box by switching to non-Freesat mode. It does require a complete rescan when switching back though.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
If you get the new Freesat 4k box, then it'll work with the Q LNB.
Even if a channel isn't on the Freesat EPG, you can still view it on the 4k box by switching to non-Freesat mode. It does require a complete rescan when switching back though.

Only if the channel is transmitted Free To Air. The card in a Sky box allows viewing of encrypted channels which includes a tiny number of Free To View (no charge) and subscription channels.

As I understand it. The new box only has access to a few transponders without a full fta scan capability.

ie It's not compliant with the EU regs re reception of FTA channels. A very early casualty of Brexit ?

Last edited:

logiciel

MSE?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Follow the link and you'll find out.
A FS receiver will also cover all free channels but in a better order.
No it won't, sadly.
Only those channels that pay to be on the proprietary freesat EPG and get a suitable Logical Channel Number.
Channel 4 HD is free to air on DSat, but not on the freesat epg (one example) as are the two channels the OP wants to watch.

logiciel

Can’t be bothered, one forum is enough for me.:)
You’re right.
I should have added “but most of them in a better order”.
Which channels does OP want to watch?:thumbsdow

Last edited:

JonMace

Both Channels are available on Astra Free to air but but freesat.

I would Suggest an Enigma2 box, but you will need to change your LNB

depot

I have an old sky HD box and it picks up more channels than my LG tv does using the inbuilt freesat decoder, the main one being freesports, you also get channel 4 in HD. Can’t record on it of course.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I have an old sky HD box and it picks up more channels than my LG tv does using the inbuilt freesat decoder, the main one being freesports, you also get channel 4 in HD. Can’t record on it of course.

Should be on the TV as well LCN 252

252 FreeSports HD 11426 V

These are on the same transponder so should also be on the TV

120 S4C HD
143 Sony Crime 2
167 QUEST HD
205 FRANCE 24(ENG)
252 FreeSports HD

depot

Should be on the TV as well LCN 252

252 FreeSports HD 11426 V

These are on the same transponder so should also be on the TV

120 S4C HD
143 Sony Crime 2
167 QUEST HD
205 FRANCE 24(ENG)
252 FreeSports HD
Freesports used to be on freesat, but it was removed last year in a dispute over fees apparently.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom