Freesat using sky HD box

jamescaie

Standard Member
Right, so I've moved to a new house and I have bought a satellite dish set in order to receive freesat. I have an existing old Sky HD box with no viewing card. I have aligned the satellite using a satellite finder and I have good signal strength and quality according to the Sky HD box. However, I cannot receive any channels! I have tried running the 'new install' etc on the sky box but nothing seems to work!

Does anyone know if there is anything that I need to do in order to tune the box for freesat channels?

Please help!:lease:
Thanks,
James

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Should be plug and play. Are you sure your on 28.2E? See dishpointer.com for dish settings. It would be worth testing your Sky box on a known good dish if you've not used it in a while.

jamescaie

Standard Member
thanks for the reply, how do i check which satellite I am pointing at? The neighbours have dishes and my dish is roughly pointing in that direction but its hard to tell!

cheers,
James.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
how do i check which satellite I am pointing at? The neighbours have dishes and my dish is roughly pointing in that direction but its hard to tell!
You use a compass, everything you need is on dishpointer.com. Failing that you trial and error by finding other sats near by...

logiciel

ProDave

Novice Member
Are you sure the dish is alligned accurately? Who aligned it? "roughly" is no good, it needs to be correct within a degree or so.

You can set it up just using the signal meter built into a sky HD box. See www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk for instructions.

A sky HD box needs TWO feeds to work, unless you have gone into the installer menu (services 0 0 1 select) and set it to "single feed" mode.

You will get all the free to air channels without a viewing card which is roughly the same set of channels you get with a freesat box. If you do decide to buy a freesat from sky card, it will only give you a handfull of extra "free to view" channels. But now that 5* and 5USA have gone FTA it really is not worth the £25

Last edited:

logiciel

A sky HD box needs TWO feeds to work
All that it needs two feeds for is to be able to watch one channel while recording another.

REPASSAC

All that it needs two feeds for is to be able to watch one channel while recording another.
But with no card - i think ProDave was pointing out the the box will bug you with messages if you do not set it to single feed operation.

With no card you cannot record anyway.

logiciel

I was commenting only on his comment in the Quote. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom