Freesat UHD

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by spinaltap, Sep 2, 2017.

1. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    Freesat is seeking proposals from manufacturers to develop its third generation set-top box, which will include support for UHD and HbbTV 2.0.

For the third generation box, Freesat have defined a number of customer-focused features, which it considers to be key to delivering a market leading smart TV device, including:
    • An ultra-high-definition ready device for encrypted broadcast and IP to meet the consumer demand for UHD,
    • In-home multiscreen streaming allowing users to watch TV across multiple set-top-boxes in the home,
    • Additional tuners to help customers plan their recordings and avoid programme clashes,
    • Fast channel change for better usability
    • Support for HbbTV 2.0.1 applications
    Freesat will announce manufacturing partners in the autumn with a view to bringing a next generation set-top box to market as soon as possible.

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,496
    My question is where are they going to get the bandwidth from?

3. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    It's implicit in the proposed specification: via broadband.

4. VisionMan

VisionMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
  5. tickedon

tickedon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    More UHD options will only help drive adoption - be interesting to see how quickly they manage to get this launched!

6. Top Dog mids

Top Dog mids
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    More importantly what about serious brand partners to sell the set top boxes that work properly?
    I gave up with Humax because the newer boxes don't have proper catch up or allow you to archive recordings to another device. Two things DVB dream clearly allows

7. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    It's noteworthy that Freesat don't appear to be persuing replacement LNB's (like Sky) for their next generation receivers (thereby underpinning their reliance on broadband for UHD delivery).

Perhaps the reason for this is that Freesat don't want to minimise sales of UHD televisions with integral Freesat EPG.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    There is nothing special lnb wise required for UHD. Sky-Q uses a special lnb because of the number of tuners that can be used using just two cables. Guessing the new box having more than two tuners will be SCD compatible like the four tuner Humax German icord evolution models.

Humax iCord Evolution Quad Tuner HD Satellite Home Media Server 1TB

Owners of some 4K tv's with satellite tuners can watch the SES Astra UHD demo channel using a bog standard universal lnb.

9. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    On Freeview, there are many 'data only' channels. I wonder if Freesat will follow a similar strategy for broadcasting its UHD channels.

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Freesat doesn't have any channels, only broadcasters have channels. All it does is provide a epg service which is of course a data only transmission.

11. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    All in all, I see this as pretty pointless. There's talk of UHD content in the proposals, but Freesat (and Freeview) aren't exactly over-burdened with HD content, so unless there's a big shift somewhere all the new boxes will do is to continue to deliver what we get now, in glorious SD. Relying on broadband to stream UHD content is going to be a challenge for a lot of our existing broadband network, so other than perhaps extra tuners, I'm not really sure what this brave new world of HbbTV will actually offer. Right now, my needs are pretty well covered by the likes of the standard UK catch-up services, Amazon and Netflix. I'm not really sure I want to interact with broadcasts, but I suppose others will like that sort of thing.

Rather than faffing over new standards and kit, how about delivering some more HD channels now? That would be a good place to start, to my mind.

Clem

12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,193
    Freesat have no way of increasing the number of FTA HD channels, only a broadcaster can do that. The ability to view recorded content remotely (Like Sky-Q) will be a draw for many.

13. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,085
    The Freesat rep at the recent CAI trade show giving a seminar. . said they (Freesat) had decided to just use Humax in the future..

Oh well.. that was then.. this is now

(& after so many new channels launched on Freesat including the new fre sports channel .. Freesports and viacom planning to add Paramount ?)

14. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I'm aware that Freesat doesn't control what channels broadcasters offer, but as a platform, handling primarily SD channels isn't that wonderful in the HD/UHD world that we now find ourselves. Having fancy new hardware is all well and good, but if the content isn't there what's the point? I find myself largely avoiding SD channels nowadays, unless it's to provide some audible distraction for my tinnitus! As for the ability to view recorded content remotely, maybe, but with so much of what's broadcast available on catch-up, and a reliance on ADSL-configured broadband, trying to stream something from your home PVR doesn't seem that attractive either! With broadband uplink speeds currently so hobbled, I doubt if streaming HD content will work. My Virgin connection gives me 200mbit down, but only 12 up. That up speed is not really enough to stream HD properly to my mind. Obviously, in-home streaming isn't affected by broadband speeds.

Clem

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017