Freesat transfer by USB

Bongowhack

Standard Member
Hi all, I'm considering the purchase of a Freesat system to eventually rid my life of Sky (as I've read many of you have done) but I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I decide on which model of Freesat recorder to buy.

Having looked at the Foxsat HDR, I've noticed that it is possible to transfer recordings from the internal HDD to an external one via USB but I can't find anything about doing the same on the other model I was considering - the Panasonic DMR BS780. The added bonus of having a Blu ray recorder in with the pvr is a real head-turner for me but I'd still want the ability to transfer recordings via USB - can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that this is possible with the Panasonic?

Many thanks.

Mike

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all, I'm considering the purchase of a Freesat system to eventually rid my life of Sky (as I've read many of you have done) but I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I decide on which model of Freesat recorder to buy.

Having looked at the Foxsat HDR, I've noticed that it is possible to transfer recordings from the internal HDD to an external one via USB but I can't find anything about doing the same on the other model I was considering - the Panasonic DMR BS780. The added bonus of having a Blu ray recorder in with the pvr is a real head-turner for me but I'd still want the ability to transfer recordings via USB - can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that this is possible with the Panasonic?

Many thanks.

Mike
Hello Mike

Generally speaking, it is a universal and deliberate limitation of ALL removable disc recorders [ ie DVDR's and BDR's ] that you can get video material in various forms INTO a machine [ according to what that machine happens to support ]... using USB and memory devices... but it is impossible to get video material out of any of these machines except by the route of using a disc medium.

However there have been some recent breakthroughs .. albeit they are not necessarily easy or straightforward.
Previous generations of BDR's [ including the '780 ] could only act as clients in DLNA mode.
The latest BWT700 and BWT800 can act in server and client modes and some users have managed have managed to get material off a machine onto a computer using this method. If you look around at recent threads you should find some further info.

It is worth noting that it also more or less a universal restriction that HD material, no matter where it is saved, will only playback on the machine which originally recorded it.

EDIT - Sorry - I have just noticed you are referring solely to Freesat machines so some of what I have said above has no relevance.
There are no Freesat machines yet with server and client modes so that route is closed also.

Bongowhack

Standard Member
As it turns out I've been given a Blu ray player for Christmas so I'll just plumb for something like the Foxsat and be content with that.

Thanks very much for replying so quickly at this time of year - you've probably saved me quite a bit of cash as I'll be able to get out in the Jan sales to pick up a deal!

Mike

ramjet

Banned
although its completely off topic here , its a relevant fact that most satellite boxes with usb ports will record onto an external usb stick or external usb hdd in some format or other ( usually TS ) and this can easily be transferred to a pc , some can even make use of the pc internal HDD or a NAS and stream record to it ( and also playback from it )

all of these boxes including a sky box can be used as a freesat recorder , albeit the epg can be a bit iffy and usually just now and next

the blade bm7000s has a 7 day epg that can be easily downloaded from the sky epg portal channel using the menu , can record to usb stick , usb hdd and probably to a pc using bladestream

the newer eagle800 HD box can also record or playback media files from usb HDD or memory sticks and is less than £100 , unless you want a twin tuner box as they are more expensive like the vu+ DUO or newer ULTIMO

like I said , its off topic , but its highly relevant for anyone wanting a satellite box with usb HDD or STICK recording and easily transferred to a PC or a NAS

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
although its completely off topic here , its a relevant fact that most satellite boxes with usb ports will record onto an external usb stick or external usb hdd in some format or other ( usually TS ) and this can easily be transferred to a pc , some can even make use of the pc internal HDD or a NAS and stream record to it ( and also playback from it )

all of these boxes including a sky box can be used as a freesat recorder , albeit the epg can be a bit iffy and usually just now and next

the blade bm7000s has a 7 day epg that can be easily downloaded from the sky epg portal channel using the menu , can record to usb stick , usb hdd and probably to a pc using bladestream

the newer eagle800 HD box can also record or playback media files from usb HDD or memory sticks and is less than £100 , unless you want a twin tuner box as they are more expensive like the vu+ DUO or newer ULTIMO

like I said , its off topic , but its highly relevant for anyone wanting a satellite box with usb HDD or STICK recording and easily transferred to a PC or a NAS
This one looks quite promising

Televes Zas HD PVR FTA Satellite Reciever

Ignore the Freesat sticker it's not a Freesat box./

Bongowhack

Standard Member
Wow, I thought I was pretty tech-savvy but now I'm a little confused. What's the difference between Freesat and FTA? And with that Televez box just recording on an external HDD, do you know if it supports series link recording?

Beyond that, I'm very interested in how to export programmes from my sky HD+ box via USB - can you point me in the direction of some more info in that?

Thanks

ramjet

Banned
Wow, I thought I was pretty tech-savvy but now I'm a little confused. What's the difference between Freesat and FTA? And with that Televez box just recording on an external HDD, do you know if it supports series link recording?

Beyond that, I'm very interested in how to export programmes from my sky HD+ box via USB - can you point me in the direction of some more info in that?

Thanks
the only way to export sky plus programmes is by RGB scart , and that is deliberate by the software techs who made it , and its in RGB SD even if the original recording is HD

if you want more info on freesat then look at their site for more details , but without going into too much detail there is little difference using freesat from an ordinary digital receiver that uses free to air programmes

the freesat system is like your sky system , using a bespoke EPG and you may find some channels work on it like possibly c5HD which are scrambled on your sky box

other than that any digital sat receiver will pick up free to air channels , even your sky box will so pull out the card and you will see what its like as a freesat box

but you have more facilities on 3rd party boxes like the spiderbox , blade , eagle , dreambox , vu+ uno , duo or ultimo boxes , which all get HD as well as SD , and can also record and playback to and from usb , some can even have internal HDD fitted

all depends what you want and how much work you wish to put in

sky and freesat boxes are like freeview , relying on an epg to get the correct channels from the correct transponders , 3rd party boxes require you to sort this out and organise channels etc ( or install a premade list via usb stick )

plenty of info out there , I have outlined the basics for you

that tevion says now and next , also alludes to a 7 day epg , but it may not do series link recording , I dont know anything about that one

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

Thanks
Freesat is a company (jointly owned by ITV and the BBC) that maintains an epg (transmitted from Eurobird 1 at 28.5E). The idea was to provide near identical capabilities to Freeview+ (the plus means it has series and accurate recording capability. To be on the epg a broadcaster has to transmit free to air from the group of satellites at 28.2/28.5E and to pay Freesat the epg fees. So Freesat is just an epg for fta channels. Sky offers a similar (and more expensive service) for broadcasters to be on the Sky epg.

A few fta boxes have a hacked acccess to the Freesat epg.

Not all broadcasters pay to be on the Freesat epg so there are dozens of fta channels not on the epg.

The televes is a generic free to air box but used in the UK there's no epg (Each channel has now and next epg info). You have to set recordings by date channel and time and the nearest you get to series recordings is a repeat pattern, daily, weekly, every weekday etc. Not being subject to the restrictions of Freesat HD recordings are made without encryption. The Foxsat-hdr can make HD recordings without encryption by switching it into fta mode (no epg no timers).

The USB port on a sky box has no function. Only way to access content is remove the hard disc.

Bongowhack

Standard Member
Ah, things are becoming a lot clearer now thanks. I read 2 different things that Ramjet said & mashed them together in my own head it seems.

Pretty much my final question now & it's more a one on behalf of my brother than me - you say HD recordings from the Foxsat (and other boxes) are encrypted - does that mean that SD recordings aren't & can be dumped into a USB stick time & again? He's a teacher & is after a quick & easy way to transfer programmes recorded at home to a PC at work so he can use them to supplement his lessons. HD isn't a priority, SD would be fine for this.

I think that covers everything - thanks again for your help.

ramjet

Banned
any fta channels are by definition NOT ENCRYPTED and so you can do with those recordings as you wish

but if a box has restrictions like say sky plus HD on those recordings , then you can only transfer them out by real time recording to a vcr or dvd recorder in SD ( that is not encryption , its a restriction )

so if I was to record say bbc1 or bbc1HD , which are both fta channels , to usb on a blade box , you just take out the stick , carry to a pc or laptop and copy over in say windows explorer

this will probably be in TS format , then you change to mpeg or whatever and do as you wish with it , or use vlc or gom player to play it on the laptop or pc

but if the channel has encryption added at point of source , it will need decryption to record it , like say c5HD or pick tv which are FTV channels ( free to view ) , NOT fta which is free to air

yes its complicated , which is why there are hundreds of sat forums on the net to deal with it

but its worth noting that channels have encryption flags set at source when they are subscription channels

whereas this thread basically dealt with fta channels , which have no encryption , but boxes with HD channels that may record like the humax foxsat may still restrict your transport to SD only for all I know , like a sky box does

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Pretty much my final question now & it's more a one on behalf of my brother than me - you say HD recordings from the Foxsat (and other boxes) are encrypted - does that mean that SD recordings aren't & can be dumped into a USB stick time & again? He's a teacher & is after a quick & easy way to transfer programmes recorded at home to a PC at work so he can use them to supplement his lessons. HD isn't a priority, SD would be fine for this.

I think that covers everything - thanks again for your help.
SD recordings are standard transport stream mpeg2 files. Playable on lots of PC's and media servers. Also easily and losslessly converted to mpeg2 programme stream files easily burnt to DVD.

Very easy to use and fast editing and burning multiple titles to DVD or a playable file.

Videredo TVsuite.

afaik the only freesat box with archiving to usb is the Foxsat-hdr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bongowhack

Standard Member
Thanks Ramjet, thanks Graham.

The Foxsat HDR seems like the best option for both of us.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your holidays.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom