Freesat to wi-fi encoder

penfold77

I'd like to get a tv signal in a room with no connections to it, is there a device that will accept a freesat or freeview signal and encode it so it can be sent over a wireless network?

I can't find anything at the moment, so if anybody here knows of something I'd love to know!

next010

Distinguished Member
A device no but a PC server yes with Freesat/view tuner, there is software called TVheadend that can run on a Ubuntu box and has various clients available for it like iOS and XBMC.

A less slick approach is use the Orb DLNA server on PC in a similar way, it can make the channels available through DLNA so all you do is buy a media player like a WDTV Live for the other room and browse the Orb DLNA server listings to access the channel.

The cheap way of doing it would be to pick up a wireless video sender it's not fancy but it should work.

penfold77

Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it.

I'm suprised there isn't a small box like the type that I'm looking for out there. Maybe I should get making one! :)

next010

Distinguished Member
Well there is the Slingbox, the Slingbox hardware captures the output of the set top box then sends that to where you have a Slingbox client like the PC client, iOS app, or Boxee Box (which just got Slingbox app).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom