• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Freesat set top box options with Android capabilities?

Coupe2t

Hi all,

I currently have Sky downstairs in our living room, it's sky HD so has 2 inputs off the dish going to that.

Pretty sure what I have is a Quad LNB on the Sky dish, and looking at putting a freesat receiver in the bedroom for some basic tv channels and so forth, which I think should be doable off of the other LNB connections. I have a couple of questions though.

Are there any Freesat boxes that run Android? or have a virtualised area that allows access to Android also? I have some games on an Android box that my daughter plays, but would rather consolidate and have a single box than two.

Also, as it's obviously coming off a Sky dish, the dish will be static, which I assume may limit the channel set/options available? How am I able to tell what channels I would be able to get down on Freesat etc?

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Also, as it's obviously coming off a Sky dish, the dish will be static, which I assume may limit the channel set/options available? How am I able to tell what channels I would be able to get down on Freesat etc?
Sky and freesat use the same broadcasts (with a couple of exceptions of a few duplicates e.g. Pick and Challenge) so all the subscription free channels are available on both Sky and freesat - although you may have to view some channels in "non freesat mode" on a freesat box as they do not pay to be on the freesat EPG.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
All the Freesat boxes I know of use Linux. Generic FTA boxes also generally use Linux.

A genuine Freesat box operated in Freesat mode (Has Freesat epg)

Freesat Channel Lineup

A second hand Sky HD box without a card - (Has Sky epg with many entries you can't view)

Pull out your card on your existing box and have a look.

A generic FTA DVB-S2 HD box or Freesat HD box in non freesat mode (Generally no epg, only now/next)

Astra 2A / Astra 2E / Astra 2F / Astra 2G (28.2°E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
You'll find generic sat receivers running Android, I don't know if they are any good... it's early days for these and software support may not be great. Research carefully and get something well supported if you choose this route.

Coupe2t

Thanks all, Appreciate the Info.

@kevkbuk any examples I could look at? Or that you know of that anyone has used?

Not too bothered about support going forward, as long as it runs what I need it too now then should be cool. :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom