FREESAT recordable 4K TV Box

Lindylootoo

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought the above Freesat 500gb box to replace my Humax 1tb Freesat box on which the hard drive disk failed.
Despite following the setup instructions I have the following issues:

When the box and the TV are turned on I get a message: "We are setting up your dish. This may take a short while".........takes about 45 seconds to turn on.

I've just set the box to record channels 102 and 103. It allows me to do that AND to watch 101
When I try to record channel 104 - I get this message: Recording clashes with 2 recordings in progress. reschedule or cancel one of your recordings.

I thought I could record up to four channels??

Previously to this I have tried to record two programmes, but could only record one............and I couldn't watch another channel when recording.
I pressed "Do not watch BBC HD" and got this message: Signal Lost no picture available.

When going through set up I had two good strong signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You need a different LNB to record more programmes.
Two is the max with a normal universal lnb that you have and work(s) with your older PVR.
A $ky Q LNB will allow more tuners to be supported: or a hybrid if you have other sat receivers to support in the dwelling.

The other issues - I have no idea. It sounds like an intermittent dish / cabling / LNB issue as I'd not expect a 'setting up' message every switch on?
Check out the freesat 4k aka Arris box thread to see if such issues are mentioned?

I had a new Freesat dish + Quad + Twin cable fitting in September 2021 - so that shouldn't be an issue.

Quad LNB for freesat or $ky is the universal (aka legacy) type that only allows two tuners.

Hybrid LNB with two wideband and two (or four) legacy outputs is different to it

Wideband LNB for $ky Q has only two outputs.
https://cpc.farnell.com/visiblewave/vw2l/twin-output-wideband-lnb-with/dp/AP03478 but will work with the 4k box and give the extra tuner ability.

I've just gone into settings and put my wifi password in, so if a software update it needed it can now access that. Then checked my settings and it says only 1 LNB - so satellite man is coming out tomorrow. Thanks again.

You need a different LNB to record more programmes.
Two is the max with a normal universal lnb that you have and work(s) with your older PVR.

Two is the limitation of the box not the LNB. In an old style box so long as you have a separate horizontal and vertical polarisation feed, which is why you need two cables, then you can record\watch as many channels as you had tuners.

The new Sky Q LNB still has the horizontal and vertical down two separate cables but has 12 tuners built into the box.

Two is the limitation of the box not the LNB. In an old style box so long as you have a separate horizontal and vertical polarisation feed, which is why you need two cables, then you can record\watch as many channels as you had tuners.

The new Sky Q LNB still has the horizontal and vertical down two separate cables but has 12 tuners built into the box.
This is not a Q wideband LNB I'm talking about but a Universal/legacy type (and yes some boxes can be cleverer even with the legacy LNB and it's 4 modes of working on each cable) but in best KISS style only two at any time is usual.

My money is on a bent-over centre pin on one of the two cables plugged into the box... hence only one feed is found. User error so chargeable

Sat installer could swap quad for a Q wideband when on site no doubt and that would be chargeable, too.

This is not a Q wideband LNB I'm talking about but a Universal/legacy type (and yes some boxes can be cleverer even with the legacy LNB and it's 4 modes of working on each cable) but in best KISS style only two at any time is usual.

Yep sorry forgetting about Low and High Frequency :facepalm:

So if one of the cables has a bent-over centre pin - can it be repaired or will it need replacing? If so, what is it called so I can order one?

A satellite connector is often called an F type connector and depending on who did the install you either get a screw-on one or a better quality compression or crimp one. The latter you need a specific tool for, if it's just the former one then literally it will unscrew counterclockwise from the cable.

If you have a bent pin then in that case it's just a case of cutting the cable back a couple of centimetres and then re-terminating it. Again there are tools for doing but you can do it yourself with a wirestripper or sharp pliers. Plenty of videos on YT about it.

Unscrew both connectors from the box and look to see if the centre copper pin is still there\and or bent if it is bend it back and make sure it goes in the centre hole when you screw it back in again.

Repair is usually simply unscrewing from the box an straightening the centre conductor back out...

But if you neeed to remake it Wiring up plugs, aerials and wall plates - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials shows how.

The thin centre core has to be gently 'wiggled' into the socket on the PVR which is tight on a new box until the screw part connects to be tightened up. If it doesn't go in at the start, pushing it bends over and shorts the centre to the outer = no signal.

I have recently bought the above Freesat 500gb box to replace my Humax 1tb Freesat box on which the hard drive disk failed.
Despite following the setup instructions I have the following issues:

When the box and the TV are turned on I get a message: "We are setting up your dish. This may take a short while".........takes about 45 seconds to turn on.

I've just set the box to record channels 102 and 103. It allows me to do that AND to watch 101
When I try to record channel 104 - I get this message: Recording clashes with 2 recordings in progress. reschedule or cancel one of your recordings.

I thought I could record up to four channels??

Previously to this I have tried to record two programmes, but could only record one............and I couldn't watch another channel when recording.
I pressed "Do not watch BBC HD" and got this message: Signal Lost no picture available.

When going through set up I had two good strong signals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Did you sort this out, mine has just started with this.

The "setting up your dish" problem is due to standby mode being set to passive. To fix this, press Home on your remote, then Settings, then System settings, then Standby mode, then Set Standby Mode. Change the mode to Active, then Save & Close. The TV channel should now appear as soon as you switch the box on. I believe Active mode uses slightly more power.

:rotfl:
Active standby consumes 8.5 Watts cf 9.1 Watts when the box is fully on.
Passive standby is 1.06 Watts (connected to a network) and only 0.36 Watts if not.
(From the freesat 4k manual)

That's a heck of a lot of extra electricity (61 kWh per annum) for that convenience (and the ability to set recordings when out via the app).

Modern electrical kit is not designed with power consumption in mind. It's all about the convenience. I don't know of anyone who turns off their a/v kit when not in use, me included. It just sits there in standby.

After a recent software update, I also get the annoying message about setting up your dish for 10-15 seconds before the channel appears. I contacted Freesat and after several patronising emails I found out about the active mode. Trouble is, when I go to log in to my account on the box and enter my email, the 'proceed' button won't move on to the next screen. I have successfully logged in with the same info on my app, but the box refuses to play ball. I've now escalated this to the technical team at Freesat but they don't seem to have a clue about this glitch and have now stopped responding to my emails. I'm thinking of ditching the 1TB box completely and trying something else. Freeview is out because I removed our aerial years ago. Are there any boxes that just work on Internet only that don't require opening apps to watch live TV?

Humax have recently started selling this streaming box - haven't got one but might be worth a look

Not if this statement on their site is accurate:-
"Please note: BBC iPlayer, ITV X and Channel 4 are not currently supported on this device."

Just get a Roku or Firestick - all the apps work on those. Often cheaper too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom