1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FreeSat questions - please help!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Unlight, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys,

I bought a Panasonic PWD6 plasma and have been having awful problems trying to get freeview up and running, it now seems that I'm going to have to pay almost £100 to get a new ariel up and fitted just so I can watch TV on the plasma.

However, I've been interested in www.freesatfromsky.co.uk - and I just had a couple of quick questions - I would need to go for the £150 installation/equipment.

1. Is the picture quality the same from this as it is Sky Digital? I dont really want to be paying a subscription, as I very rarely even watch TV!

2. What equipment do you actually get from this service? IE. What box/remote do you get with the service.

And lastly - any users out there who have taken advantage of this £150 deal?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Freesat IS SKY Digital, same hardware:)

The Freesat service just means you can only access the FTA channels and with the included smartcard the FTV channels (ITV1, CH4 and Five, ITV2 as well for the time being).
    You will get a dish/lnb and SKY digibox with standard installation, package includes a FTV smartcard which is guaranteed for three years I believe.

I would seriously consider the cost of a sutiable aerial for Freeview to be worthwhile, there are many more options for the hardware with Freeview including viable digital recorders some with twin tuners and the channel line up depending upon your tastes can be considered better than a non-subscription Dsat alternative.

3. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hmmm.
    I really dont know which I should go for,

Even though I dont watch much TV, I was even considering going for the all out Sky + package, working out at about £30 a month.. I take it Sky require a minimum of a years subscription? Would work out at about £360 then for the year.... doesnt sound TOO much, and would have that extra recording facility!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep SKY is a minimum 12 month contract and if you choose to cancel you can still use the hardware for FTA and FTV viewings. However SKY+ requires a subscription to continue to make use of it's recording facilites so you would need to pay £10 a month regardless of any channel package if you wanted to continue using it for recording.

That's how it stands atm, with lower subscriber take up and I suspect an increase in churn over the next year there may be significant shifts in how services are offered and the price asked for them.

I have to say though, if you don't watch much telly then go for Freeview.
    You will still have the option of a subsidised SKY system at a later date if circumstances change.

5. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    But could I get Sky + for a year, then cancel the contract, PLUS terminate the actual recording facilities, ie. Pay nothing after a year, not have any recording facilities, but still be able to use the FTA and FTV facilities?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes without any subscription payment SKY+ with an ex-subscription smartcard will allow you to watch the FTA and FTV channels.

When you calculate the cost of a year of SKY don't forget the cost of purchasing the SKY+, a standard digibox is free but if you want SKY+ it's currently £99 for new subscribers.

7. jtzi

jtzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spotted this thread and am quite interested for my folks... The currently have Sky because my brother is at home but when he disappears to Uni this year they are going to cancel their subscription. This will leave them with the dish and box doing nothing.

I have heard of Freesat but not done much research on it. From what has been said above, it seems they would be able to just cancel their subscription and still receive all the 'Freesat channels'. Is this the case? Would they need to purchase a new freesat viewing card (for £20) or would their existing de-subscribed card work?

They also have an old ONdigital freeview box which they were considering using in place of sky but which would be best? I thought the sky system would be better but do the packages (i.e. the channels) differ? Are there any decent comparison sources anyone could recommend?

Cheers
    Jim

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    When a subscription is cancelled SKY let you keep the smartcard and it can be used to view the FTV channels as well as the FTA channels, this line up is what is called "Freesat". So they would not need to purchase another smartcard, just cancel and say "no" to any promotion they are offered right there or a few weeks later:)

Freeview lineup

Slightly more upto date Freesat lineup here when compared to the list on the BBC webpage above.

9. jtzi

jtzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I'll pass the info on to my folks! :smashin:

Jim