Freesat picture quality - as good as Freeview?

carlH

Standard Member
I've just been comparing the picture of FreeSat to Freeview and was surprised to find that Freeview was much better - on my set up at least.

I found the colours on Freesat to be over saturated and just not as clear. Do I just need to tweak the colour settings on my LCD or is there a known difference in the picture quality?

Starburst

Novice Member
A lot of the DTT channels have higher resolution and bitrate than their Dsat counterparts, it's almost as if the satellite viewers are considered second class by certain broadcasters.

There may also be a benefit in having an internal Freeview tuner as opposed to an external Freesat box connected via HDMI unless of course you have a DTT/Dsat TV.

nwhitfield

On Freeview, for the PSBs at least, I think there are specific regulations which stop them squeezing quality on the main channels too much. That's not been the case on satellite. Also bear in mind that the main PSBs have gifted spectrum on Freeview, so didn't originally have to worry so much about fitting everything in, whereas it's always been the case that satellite bandwidth has to be paid for .

In the case of ITV and the BBC, for example, they have to have multiple streams on satellite to provide the same regional coverage, for news on the BBC and on ITV for advertisers, so that starts to put up the cost for them, and squeezing bit rates helps.

peakwhite

Standard Member
A lot of the DTT channels have higher resolution and bitrate than their Dsat counterparts, it's almost as if the satellite viewers are considered second class by certain broadcasters.

There may also be a benefit in having an internal Freeview tuner as opposed to an external Freesat box connected via HDMI unless of course you have a DTT/Dsat TV.

Is there a way, with a Humax HDR, of displaying the bitrate ?

Starburst

Novice Member

Not that I know of but I don't own one so worth asking perhaps in a new thread where everyone would probably read the question.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

If there is I never found it. You can get a good idea by recording a channel, transferring the file to a pc and finding the file size. It's not really a feature the average user would even understand let alone use. A display of file size on the hdr would be handy though

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom