Freesat or Sky Freesat?

barrybarryr

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are purchasing our first house. In the house we are buying the current owners have taken down the normal TV aerial and have a Sky dish.

Because we have no aerial we can't get Freeview (which would be my first choice as the channel lineups look better) so it will have to be Freesat or Sky Freesat (they are leaving the dish but not the box).

Which of the two would you buy/do you have and why?

Also which box is worth buying?

Last question, is there any way of getting Sky Sports News or Dave on either of the Freesats? I can't see them on any channel list.

Thanks

Barry

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Invest in a new aerial which assuming you have full DTT reception will give you Dave and SSN via a Freeview box without having to pay for them on SKY or go without on Freesat.

If you must have satellite then a SD Freesat box is cheap but if you want SKY3, Fiver and FiveUS then a SKY box with freesatfromsky card is needed, again not that expensive when bought online.
If HD is of interest then we are in a whole new ballgame:)

ciaran2506

If you want SSN and Dave, Freeview is your option with digital ariels from £20 from places like Amazon and Argos with boxes from £10 and recorders from £80.

Fred Smith

If you want SSN and Dave, Freeview is your option with digital ariels from £20 from places like Amazon and Argos with boxes from £10 and recorders from £80.

First of all there is no such thing as a digital aerial. Thats just marketing hype.

Secondly we don't know where the op lives.

Thirdly digital reception with indoor aerial is very hit and miss. So a suitable outdoor aerial is recommenced check using Wolfbane. But installation and supply will be about £150, so as the OP already has a satellite dish, it's probably the cheaper option to go satellite particularly as Sky boxes are available free from Freegle / Freecycle and cheaply elsewhere and it's only £20 for a Freesat from Sky card if the op want the few channels what will add. However as the OP wants Dave etc then of course Freeview is the way to go.

barrybarryr

Thanks for the responses.

I live in Bristol and have Freeview at the moment. The problem is the house we are buying is by the river and quite low down. To get tv aerial would mean having one installed and it needs to go on quite a large pole which looks rubbish.

I don't really want to have to pay for an aerial to be installed so will go with one of the satellite options.

I wondered about SSN or Dave because I keep reading posts which say you can manually add channels. Where would I find information about the channels that can be added manually?

What box should I look at getting? Are any brands better or worse than others?

Does it have to be a Sky box with the sky freesat? It looks like the Sky freesat is the better of the two options (unless I got freesat HD).

Also what is freecycle or freegle?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for the responses.

I live in Bristol and have Freeview at the moment. The problem is the house we are buying is by the river and quite low down. To get tv aerial would mean having one installed and it needs to go on quite a large pole which looks rubbish.

I don't really want to have to pay for an aerial to be installed so will go with one of the satellite options.

I wondered about SSN or Dave because I keep reading posts which say you can manually add channels. Where would I find information about the channels that can be added manually?

Does it have to be a Sky box with the sky freesat? It looks like the Sky freesat is the better of the two options (unless I got freesat HD).

Also what is freecycle or freegle?

Freecycle is a locally organised internet arrangement where you post if you have some stuff you intend to take to the dump to allow others to pick it up for free to reduce usefull bits going to landfill

Geofbob

Does it have to be a Sky box with the sky freesat? It looks like the Sky freesat is the better of the two options (unless I got freesat HD.

You can manually add FTA channels, but not Dave or SSN which are encrypted Sky subscription channels. In fact, there are very few channels not on the Freesat (or FreesatfromSky) EPGs that are of interest to most people - unless you're into underclothed young women writhing aroud trying to entice you into making premium rate phone calls - & some of those channels are on the EPG anyway.

Yes, it has to be a Sky box for FreesatfromSky. The Freesat website lists all Freesat authorised hardware, & Argos sells a range of receivers & recorders. Most of the receivers seem much of a muchness (I have a Bush HD box, usually priced very competitively at Argos). As for recorders, most people plump for the Humax Foxsat HDR.

ciaran2506

First of all there is no such thing as a digital aerial. Thats just marketing hype.

Secondly we don't know where the op lives.

Thirdly digital reception with indoor aerial is very hit and miss. So a suitable outdoor aerial is recommenced check using Wolfbane. But installation and supply will be about £150, so as the OP already has a satellite dish, it's probably the cheaper option to go satellite particularly as Sky boxes are available free from Freegle / Freecycle and cheaply elsewhere and it's only £20 for a Freesat from Sky card if the op want the few channels what will add. However as the OP wants Dave etc then of course Freeview is the way to go.

The reason I called it a digital ariel is because not all ariels are able to receive the full Freeview channel line up due to them not receiving the higher frequencies.

marrtin

Freeview, Freesat and Sky. You could choose all three and still struggle to find anything worth watching!:facepalm:

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The reason I called it a digital ariel is because not all ariels are able to receive the full Freeview channel line up due to them not receiving the higher frequencies.

The word you are looking for is wideband, widebands should only be used where absolutely necessary depending on your loacl transmitter as they are very poor at the lower end of the UHF spectrum. The best wideband to use if you really need one and do not require massive gain is a log-periodic. They can also cause problems after dso by picking up unwanted transmissions from upgraded post dso transmitters, these can really screw up a freeview pvr.

Fred Smith

That's a printer font or a soap powder. Not much use for receiving TV signals.

ciaran2506

If Freeview is not an option i.e. no signal in your area then you can get Dave and SSN on TV Catchup as well as having Freesat/ Freesat from Sky. Its not the best solution but it should be OK.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
i know it isn't an ideal solution for you but keep in mind that sky offer free base broadband when you take TV packs, so you can get broadband and all the channels you require for £19 a month (plus the bt line stuff on top)

Failing that freesat will get you most things without the couple people have mentioned but you will also get the iplayer and itv catch up player very soon and HD if you grab a box from them

technowizard

I would recommend to the OP to get Freesat HD. It offers more than enough channels for everyday telly and has VoD arriving. It also has the advantage of receiving HD content.
If you were to get freesat I would recommend the Humax HD as the one to go for as; a) it is the only freesat reciever to get BBC iPlayer at the moment, b) it is at a very good price point, c) it has a much better EPG than that of the grundig/bush/goodmans boxes. I haven't had experience with the metronic or technisat so can't say anything on them.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom