Freesat on TV

PJB

Standard Member
Hi all

Just moved and property has a Sky dish and cable but no coax connected!

As our Sony TV does not support Freesat we are thinking about getting a TV that the Sky can plug into using Freesat but read a few reviews that the interface on TV's can be a bit clunky compared to a stand alone box.

These reviews were quite old and wondered if this is still the case? If not which has the best please, looking to connect to a HDD to be able to record, pause etc as well.

Thank for reading

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Consider a freesat PVR rather than a TV.

There's only one freesat recording box being made and readily available nowadays Recordable 4K TV Box

That box will work with the $ky LNB whether a universal aka legacy type or a more recent $ky Q version.
All TVs need the old style universal LNB. So may need a LNB swap if a new Q type on the dish.

Twin tuners are needed to record and watch at the same time, often meaning more expensive TV required add cost of USB spinny hard disk and the PVR soon makes better economic sense?

PJB

Standard Member
Thanks Rodders, yeah I looked at them but £200 that is a bit steep!

I've already got the HDD as was hoping to use my Nvidia Shield but... well anyway!

Given the cost of the box I think I'd rather put it towards a nice TV but if the EPG etc are still, weld not very good, I may well go the box route. Are the Humax etc not any good then?

Pollywoggle

Thanks Rodders, yeah I looked at them but £200 that is a bit steep!

I've already got the HDD as was hoping to use my Nvidia Shield but... well anyway!

Given the cost of the box I think I'd rather put it towards a nice TV but if the EPG etc are still, weld not very good, I may well go the box route. Are the Humax etc not any good then?
We have had humax for years but I think they have stopped making freesat boxes

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Humax sat boxes will be second-user or returns/refurbs from a long while back as they stopped making them ages ago.
They also require the legacy LNB - so check what is on the dish first if you want to buy one of those?

I paid around £500 for a PAL video cassette recorder (stereo but not Nicam capable) plus £10 a tape some 35 years ago. So £200 doesn't sound bad to me and implies negative inflation ;)

Freeview recorders are cheaper - especially refurbished - but will need a UHF TV aerial installed. It can be possible to diy install one with minimal skills in a loft space (if the signal levels at the house permits). Unclear to me from post #1 if the house has a UHF TV outlet cable (or many) left unterminated in the loft (as commonly done by builders). As that makes things easier. Location (very nearby postcode) for terrestrial reception predictions if aerial advice is wanted.

lee1980

Consider a freesat PVR rather than a TV.

There's only one freesat recording box being made and readily available nowadays Recordable 4K TV Box

That box will work with the $ky LNB whether a universal aka legacy type or a more recent $ky Q version.
All TVs need the old style universal LNB. So may need a LNB swap if a new Q type on the dish.

Twin tuners are needed to record and watch at the same time, often meaning more expensive TV required add cost of USB spinny hard disk and the PVR soon makes better economic sense?
Thanks for link, did not know this 4k box was out, we have an older Humax non-recording box now.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom