Freesat on Sky dish

Calzor Suzay

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I used to have Sky so have one of their dishes still slapped on the front of my house, can the dish be repositioned for freesat easily?

I used to have Sky so have one of their dishes still slapped on the front of my house, can the dish be repositioned for freesat easily?

Do not think you even have to reposition it, connect your Feesat box and Im sure it will work. If I'm wrong I expect I will be put right very quickly:D

Just swapped a Humax in for my Skybox and it worked straight off - the dish is not the issue, so long as it hasn't moved and was ok for sky digital before then it'll work more likely than not without repositioning.

I currently have sky plus, so have a quad LNB, with two spare connections.

Would it be possible to buy a freesat box and connect at the same time as Sky. I am thinking as an alternative to multi room.

Also could I connect more than one box to the dish.

Thanks

**Just read elsewhare and seems two freesat boxes are OK, but stil need confirmation on one freesat and one sky***

I currently have sky plus, so have a quad LNB, with two spare connections.

Would it be possible to buy a freesat box and connect at the same time as Sky. I am thinking as an alternative to multi room.

Also could I connect more than one box to the dish.

Thanks

**Just read elsewhare and seems two freesat boxes are OK, but stil need confirmation on one freesat and one sky***

Yes that will be ok too.

ATB

Max

Hi guys,

Been reading through the thread and have a quick question ( im sure you get this alot ) I have a skyhd box and im thinking of changing to freesat ( my sky subscribtion is shocking!!! ) is it just a case of swapping my skyhd box for a freesat box??? or will it take more work that that???

Thanks for the help..

P.S Are there any planned HD Sports channels???

Hi guys,

Been reading through the thread and have a quick question ( im sure you get this alot ) I have a skyhd box and im thinking of changing to freesat ( my sky subscribtion is shocking!!! ) is it just a case of swapping my skyhd box for a freesat box??? or will it take more work that that???

Thanks for the help..

P.S Are there any planned HD Sports channels???

Straight swap, although there aren't any pvr stb's for the new freesat yet, so if you like that aspect of your sky hd box then best to wait a couple of months until they are released

Thanks for that Jonstone...just need to wait a bit longer then for pvr...hopefully not too long as sky would have had another few quid out of me by then!...:)

If you had Sky Digital working off the dish then you don't need to move it. Just plug it in and you are off.

If it is one of the circular dishes that you may have used for Skys's analogue service then you will have to redirect it. With a little time and patience it's not that difficult, although I'd imagine the bolts will be very rusty. You'd be well advised to change the LNB, to at least a duo if not a quattro. If the LNB is well old then you'll definitely need to change it as it won't have the range for all the channels. New cable as well wouldn't go amiss. To be honest though, unless you are into self install, it could be cheaper to go for the ÂŁ80 option. I already have a ladder, a roll of CT100 cable, self amalging tape, masonary cable clips, a hammer drill, long drill bits that will go through the wall and most importantly a head for heights.

I live in a flat and unlike many of the other flats, I don't have a sky dish, but the people who built the flats had the *ahem* foresight to install a analogue satellite dish and a feed into each flat. I don't suppose I could use that for freesat could I?

I'm expecting no but I thought I'd ask...? :)

dave

i have a sky HD box and a sky multiroom box that we only have the free to view stuff on, can i swap this box for the new free sat box( so i have another hd source) and still run sky hd at the same time?

I live in a flat and unlike many of the other flats, I don't have a sky dish, but the people who built the flats had the *ahem* foresight to install a analogue satellite dish and a feed into each flat. I don't suppose I could use that for freesat could I?

dave
If the dish ahs been moved to point at the right satellite and the LNB upgraded then I don't see why not. Not sure about distribution systems to be honest.

I was on the verge of giving up waiting and getting a Sky HD box but I picked up the Humax today... it was a simple swap for an old Pace sky box (freesat) on a sky dish without any fuss. Plugged in the cable from the LNB and it updated itself and found 74 channels in seconds.

NOTE: wouldn't normaly be spending any $ there but... COMET ... tried very hard to insist that I had to buy the installation for ÂŁ80 as well as the box at ÂŁ149.

Apparently that is their strict instrctions and they blamed BBC / ITV Freesat etc.

I kicked up a fuss saying I didn't need an installer to come round and plug an HDMI cable in for ÂŁ80 ... as usual they didn't really have a clue... first excuse was i'd need a different dish... then one guy said the dish would need to be re-aligned blah blah blah.

Bollock$ it does says I ... and eventualy they gave in and sold me the box on its own.

dave

The distribution system is almost certainly NOT suitable for use and would need replacing as would the cables from the dish to it (or at least adding two more) and also the lnb. Multi room distribution for analogue satellite almost certainly only used a two output lnb (called a twin in those days having two fixed outputs one of each polarity) and distribution units were only capable of switching between two inputs NOT the four required now for digital signals over a far wider frequency band. I used to fit such systems for friends and neighbours on an enthusiastic amateur basis The cabling from those distribution units may be suitable BUT I would think it is now coming to the end of its useful life if they used the old internal satellite cable with aluminium foil screening. To be honest it may be wise to replace the whole system (except the dish if in good condition).

If the lnb and distribution system is still working then plugging a digibox into it may give you roughly half the channels available.

Okay, I think this has ben covered mostly by others but I want to be sure before spending the money..........

I currently have a Sky+ box and want to get one of the Freesat boxes to cover the HD channels. Can you tell me -

- Does the cabelling they run for Sky+ support HD signals?
- Will it work if (after I end my Sky subscription) I connect one of the signal cables to the Sky+ box to enabe me to still record programmes, albeit in SD, and connect the other to my Freesat box enabling me to watch channels in HD.

Thanks for all the knowledge!

Okay, I think this has ben covered mostly by others but I want to be sure before spending the money..........

I currently have a Sky+ box and want to get one of the Freesat boxes to cover the HD channels. Can you tell me -

- Does the cabelling they run for Sky+ support HD signals?
- Will it work if (after I end my Sky subscription) I connect one of the signal cables to the Sky+ box to enabe me to still record programmes, albeit in SD, and connect the other to my Freesat box enabling me to watch channels in HD.

Thanks for all the knowledge!

Does the cabelling they run for Sky+ support HD signals? Yes

Will it work if (after I end my Sky subscription) I connect one of the signal cables to the Sky+ box to enabe me to still record programmes, albeit in SD, and connect the other to my Freesat box enabling me to watch channels in HD.
With just one feed going into your Sky+ box you will only be able to record the channel you are watching that is the only downfall

Anyone got any links or info about a PVR box could save me a fortune to sky this. Would miss my sport though :(

Just to clarify then...
I have Sky+ currently.
If I cancel Sky and buy a Freesat HD PVR box (when available), I will be able to use my existing Sky dish and the existing two cables that come from it and simply connect them to the Freesat HD PVR box? No moving the dish, no new cables, everything fits, just connect the existing two cables to the new box and your up and running?

Does the cabelling they run for Sky+ support HD signals? Yes

Will it work if (after I end my Sky subscription) I connect one of the signal cables to the Sky+ box to enabe me to still record programmes, albeit in SD, and connect the other to my Freesat box enabling me to watch channels in HD.
With just one feed going into your Sky+ box you will only be able to record the channel you are watching that is the only downfall

Also remember you need a monthly Sky subscription (ÂŁ16 minimum) for the recording feature to work on Sky+ boxes, otherwise you will need to pay Sky ÂŁ10 per month for the privilege of recording the free to air channels.

Just to clarify then...
I have Sky+ currently.
If I cancel Sky and buy a Freesat HD PVR box (when available), I will be able to use my existing Sky dish and the existing two cables that come from it and simply connect them to the Freesat HD PVR box? No moving the dish, no new cables, everything fits, just connect the existing two cables to the new box and your up and running?

The man from Delmonte, he says.... YES !! :D

See the FAQ

hi

im pretty sure but just asking just to make sure i dont mess up...

i live in a high rise block of flats (42 flats) ..and my sky digital is a communial dish..

i canceled my sky subscription 2 months ago as i thought it was a waste of money.

so now im still using the sky digibox as just viewing the freeview channels (except E4 dont know why but i need a subscription while using digibox to view E4)

so all i want to know is ...can i just go and buy the humax HD box and just plug in ,search chanels and hey presto i will have Freesat ??? with BBC HD ???

as i got a 47' Full HD LCD and im gagging for free HD content..

thanks in advance

so now im still using the sky digibox as just viewing the freeview channels (except E4 dont know why but i need a subscription while using digibox to view E4)

E4 & More4 went free-to-air a few days ago, so you should be able to pick them up on your Sky Digibox now. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with Sky will mention how to do so :)

so all i want to know is ...can i just go and buy the humax HD box and just plug in ,search chanels and hey presto i will have Freesat ??? with BBC HD ???

Yep :thumbsup:

fantastic....im tempted to go down comet now and buy 1...

need to be prepared to blag em that i dont need instalation..

oh and i didnt know that E4 and more4 went over a few days ago and thanks for the up ...been watching alot of blu-ray films on my new tv since having it saturday so havent really been look through sky chanels...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom