• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat on HVR-4000

typeman775

Standard Member
Hi, Im a real noob when it comes to satellite TV and am just seeking some help. I would like to begin to use freesat so i can recieve the HD channels, and was wondering a few things. I need to be able to recieve freesat on my PC, as it is a HTPC, so buying a set top box is out of the question for me.

1) How will freesat/4000 perform on my system?
2x2.13 Ghz
4gb ram
ati x1300 256mb
The resolution of my projector is 1280x720, so full 1080p/i is unnecessary

2) How should I go about having a dish fitted - should I buy one from maplins and install it myself, or spend £80 on the installation serivce?

3) Is the HVR-4000 the best card? I spent £60 on a HVR1300 about 2 months ago before I had heard of freesat, and am now beginning to regret it - I definetly want DVB-S2 for future proofing, but should i use a different card, perhaps the Nova-S2?

Thanks for reading :) and hope you can help me out

gurka

I am using DVBviwer ~ Everything is working great and the HVR 4000 is the best 'Future prooffing' to get at the moment.

I have a Nova T 500 (configured in MCE for dual DVB-T) and a HVR 4000 (configured for DVBviewer for BBC HD & ITV HD) and everything so far is working great !

mattsouthgate

Standard Member
I completely agree the HVR-4000 is the best card for future proofing and also offers the widest connection options even if only one works at a time.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom