Freesat on Apple iMac

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MPLB, Feb 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. MPLB

MPLB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normally I use a Pace sky digibox with a sky freesat (blue card) to feed my Panasonic TV. However, the damn TV blew up recently.

Whilst I'm waiting for the TV to be repaired I want to feed my Apple iMac with the signal from the satellite dish.

I'm led to believe that most of the channels (BBC, ITV, C4 etc) are now available unencrypted and free to air over the same satellite so I don't really need the sky digibox any more. I'm not too worried about EPGs etc.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to use a device shown below to feed my iMac?

http://www.terratec.net/en/products/..._Mac_2268.html

It has a connector for the cable from the satellite dish and looks to be what I'm after.

I'm just a but confused by the DVB-S part of it. Is the TV signal I pick up from Astra DVB-S compatible?

Thanks

2. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Yes, Astra is DVB-S (and S2 for some HD stuff); for the Mac, the main satellite reception products are the Elgato ones - the EyeTV 310 is their satelite model, and will do HD as well.

I don't know about the Terratec stuff, and your link doesn't work...

3. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Here's the correct link. It should be fine for what you're after :)

Although not DVB-S2, you should be able tune in BBC HD no probs (and possibly ITV HD too).

4. roaster

roaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Works for me, although there are still some Sky-encrypted free to view transmissions, which can't be viewed. I bought the Terratec from Germany, and also bought the basic Elgato DTT stick, which comes with a full copy of EyeTV that works with both. Actually cheaper than the software on its own. Both BBC HD and ITV HD work.

IMO, in exchange for switching the Sun to supporting New Labour a couple of elections ago, Murdoch was allowed to retain monopoly control over the millions who cannot get decent TV reception except by satellite.

Fortunately, that is finally coming to an end, and freesat recorders with an alternative EPG are now available.