• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat on a Mac

Roobsa

Standard Member
I've been looking at ways to watch my spare Freesat box on my Mac however these things tend to confuse me somewhat. I'm looking for a bit of clarification about what I need, hardware and cables wise. My Freesat box is hooked up to the aerial fine, and I think what I need is one of these Cinergy S USB Mac plus an LNB cable.

If someone could correct/confirm this is what I need, it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
By 'aerial' I hope you mean 'dish'?

You will need a co-ax cable from an output from the LNB on your dish to the DVS-B box.

You will also need software on your Mac to play/record the transmissions.

You won't technically get 'freesat' as you won't see the full freesat EPG, but you will get 'now and next' data for each channel.

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
You also wouldn't get any HD channels with that box. You'd need a DVB-S2 receiver for that.

Roobsa

Standard Member
By 'aerial' I hope you mean 'dish'?

You will need a co-ax cable from an output from the LNB on your dish to the DVS-B box.

You will also need software on your Mac to play/record the transmissions.

You won't technically get 'freesat' as you won't see the full freesat EPG, but you will get 'now and next' data for each channel.

Yeah, I did mean dish, it was late when I wrote that. :boring:

Thanks for the replies, will check out the EyeTV 310, it's just a fair bit more expensive than the Cinergy.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
You also wouldn't get any HD channels with that box. You'd need a DVB-S2 receiver for that.

DVB-S2 is not required for BBC HD, ITV HD or Luxe HD. These all share transponders with SD service and are thus broadcast in DVB-S not DVB-S2. They ARE in H264 rather than MPEG2 though - so you need a powerful Mac to decode them. (My Intel Macbook isn't quite up to full 1080/50i H264 with proper de-interlacing)

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
The Digital Everywhere FireDTVS2 is the same electronically as the EyeTV 310 I believe - and can work with EyeTV 3 in the same way with the latest firmware. I have one that I use on my Mac in both Windows (Bootcamp) and Mac OSX - it connects via Firewire.

The advantage of this model over most others is that it accepts a Conditional Access Module (CAM) via a Common Interface (CI) slot. This allows you to watch encrypted content with a suitable CAM and viewing card. With the right CAM and a Free-to-View card you can get C4HD this way - which is DVB-S2 and encrypted, but subscription-free. If you have a Sky HD box and a Sky HD subscription you can also watch and record Sky HD channels in this way. (Useful if you want to archive stuff - but in this way you can only record one channel per CAM/Card combo)

HOWEVER - if you are interested in HD - check that your Mac is powerful enough to cope with 1080/50i H264.

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
DVB-S2 is not required for BBC HD, ITV HD or Luxe HD. These all share transponders with SD service and are thus broadcast in DVB-S not DVB-S2. They ARE in H264 rather than MPEG2 though - so you need a powerful Mac to decode them. (My Intel Macbook isn't quite up to full 1080/50i H264 with proper de-interlacing)
I stand corrected.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom