Answered Freesat Not Receiving Signal

boswell22

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently moved in to a new home and the previous owner had Sky. I was hoping to use their old satellite dish for use with Freesat. So out of curiosity I plugged a cable from one of the two satellite connections in to my TV (Hisense H55N6800) and tuned it via the satellite. It tuned a number of channels so I, possible rather naively, assumed freesat would work.

I then purchased a Manhattan-SX freesat box but cannot get it to tune any channels. It always says that it can find a signal or that the main transponder could not be found. I am at work so can't remember the exact error.

I have no experience of using satellite signals/dishes so really not sure what to try. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

The previous connection may have been for Sky Q in which case it will need a new LNB, the device at the end of the dish arm.
You won't need the box but I suggest getting an installer in to check out the system.
HTH

Thanks very much. By not need the box do you mean the Freesat box? This is something that confuses me slightly. The TV does not have Freesat built in but has a Satellite TV tuner? Is this just a case where Freesat is a platform that accepts the satellite signal?

Freesat gives you the automatic channel list updating and 7 day EPG and some catch-up services (though not on the budget Manhattan) and series linking on PVR models.

Your TV sat tuner allows access to the same free channels but will only have now/next programme info and no 7 day EPG, series linking. Channels will in a random order as scanned in and you'll need to manage any future changes in transponder info.

Your box is not seeing the Freesat home transponder most likely. This will be down to cabling or lnb/dish issues.

Makes perfect sense now, thank you very much for your help. I'll get someone to come out and look at my set up.

That's right about the box as the TV will give the same channels, though you may find that having them in Freesat form on the box is an advantage.
Let us know what the installer says!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom