Freesat: No signal. Satellite: some channels viewable

woter324

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just moved into a house where the previous owner had a Sky setup. There is no TV aerial, only a satellite dish.

Until I can get an aerial installed, I've set up my old Samsung (2012 ES6800) which has Freesat built in.

However, I cannot view any Freesat channels. The auto-tuner will find about 600 Freesat channels, but when attempting to view, the message is "weak signal". In satellite mode, the TV can find 1094 satellite channels. Most are repeated, scrambled or encoded - no BBC channels. Only the likes of ITV, Pick and a selection of others work.

The satellite cable has two F-connectors I've tried both. Neither gets Freeview working, and one allows Satelite to work where the other doesn't, although the auto-tuner reports finding hundreds of channels with either cable connected.

I read here that Freesat needs to point to the Eurobird satellite. Although I can tick it, the TV reverts back to Astra 19.2E.

There are loads of settings, which I've left alone as I have no idea what they do: DiSEqC, frequencies etc. There are settings that lead me to believe the TV thinks the satellite dish has a motor in it to align it. I expect it's a Sky dish, so it will have to be manually positioned. I assume the "LNB" is the box that points to the concave face of the dish.

I note, in the TV settings, it mentions "Astra 19.2E" and "Eurobird ??.??E" **. Looking up info on Freesat, it references "Astra 28.2E". Am I right in assuming the satellite is now different to the one supported by the TV.

** This morning, only "Astra 19.2E" is showing.

As you can tell, I know little about satellites, however, I can turn my hand to most things. Is there anything I can do to "self-serve" a solution or is the TV too old now?

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks.

W.

Hi.. Lots of problems and lots of potential pitfalls ,any of which cause no image ..and only only one solution
.. so let's start .. first I assume you can see the dish?. .if it is fixed ..that is does not look like having a motor attached to it, then most of the satellite specific options will not have any effect. ..so stuff like Disc or scanning multiple satellite will be irrelevant. . I am assuming that the previous person had a bog standard Sky box set at the 28.3 E satellite. The fact that you got some channels ..ITV etc means it is probably pointing there. The LNB is usually Universal ..which means9.75/ 10.6 ..so use that setting. Switched on, and th e LNB voltage setting is Switched to on And ensure that all the options are on... 22k . ..These are he defaults anyway.
Now remove the satellite patch lead for a moment and ..its the one with the screw thread and then reinsert it , ensuring that you tighten it securely ... If it's loose it can sometimes lose half the channels. Again it could even be loose at the dish end ..which makes it impossible to fix without a ladder. Or it could be water in the down lead, which will affect only some channels and not others. Just more potential pitfalls
If the TV is set to say scan 19.2 Astra or 13 Hotbird it will pick up some stations on 28.3 , because they share the same frequency and signal parameters. But will miss out on the majority. .
Now about 2012 there would have been a change in satellite tuner technology, and the range of frequencies changed ,newer tuners have S2 designations and can pick up signals invisible to the older one ...BBC channels espically BBC HD are often on these frequencies. I don't know if your Samsung can pick up S2 transmission, but newer satellite stop boxes can..ask in Currys.
Anyway try a full network scan with those caveats

Almost certainly a $ky Q LNB is on the dish from previous install...

Needs replacing with a universal type. Can be a diy job if safely accessible.

Should satelite work directly with lg oled tv? has pics of a Q lnb and legacy/universal/standard quad output type.

Alternatives include:
installing a UHF TV aerial suitable for the location.
buying a Freesat 4k receiver or PVR that is compatible with the Q type LNB.

TV model number will allow sat tuner specs to be checked...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom