Freesat Information Required

Rowana

Standard Member
We live in an area where we only get a limited number of channels from a repeater transmitter, and 'Er indoors & youngest cabbage are bending my ear about getting a flatscreen TV with more channels.

There is no way that I'm giving Murdoch any of my hard-earned for Sky, so that means Freesat!

So, first off, what kind of flatscreen? LED or Plasma? Advantages/disadvantages?

Secondly, I'm assuming I need a "box" similar to a Sky 'thingy' in order to decode/record the programmes. Am I correct in this assumption, or do you get them built into the TV?

Third and final question. How does one find a "good" installer for the dish/cables? I get the impression there are a lot of "cowboys" around.

So, recommendations for TV, Box, Installer please.

TIA
Jim

logiciel

All TVs have flat screens so that's not a point to be concerned about.
You'll get plenty of opinions of the advantages of different types, plasma, LCD, LED, etc, in the AVF TV sub-forum.
You don't actually say what the channels are that you're getting now.
The digital switchover will be complete next year so you should be getting Freeview digital TV either now or in the near future.
That gives you around fifty channels so you might like to look into the AVF sub-forum about it.
For Freesat you can get TVs with the tuner built in but that restricts you to one make.
The number of separate receivers and PVRs is also quite small and here they all are along with the TVs: http://www.freesat.co.uk/products.
A Google search, or a look at the local Yellow Pages, will find you a reliable supplier for the dish and cables, and the thing to do is to get a number of quotations for the job.
HTH - Logi

Rowana

Standard Member
Thanks Logi.

We went digital last year, but as I said, we only get a few channels from a relay transmitter - Gartly Moor to be precise.

These are BBC1, 2, 3, & 4. BBC Alba, STV(ITV), ITV2, Channel4, Channel 5, Channel 4+1, E4, More4, STV+1, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC News, BBC Parliament, BBC Red Button & 301.

I'm not a great TV watcher, and will be even less with F1 racing going to Sky (spit, spit), but it looks like that I'll have to get freesat in order that peace and harmony prevails in the Rowana household!

As you probably gather, I'm trying to find out the options available before I go spending money. I am an Aberdonian after all :D

Jim

logiciel

OK Jim - isn't any improvement scheduled for Freeview in your area?
You'll be fine with Freesat - just check out the small number of receivers and PVRs for it, decide which is the one for you, shop around for it, then get those quotations for the dish and cabling.

Rowana

Standard Member
Haven't heard of any upgrades to the channels available in our area, which is why I'm considering the Freesat route.

Thanks for your help.

Jim

logiciel

Yes, the Freeview site confirms that Garley Moor has only three muxes, and doesn't mention the other three that most areas have.
You'll be fine with Freesat - or with any satellite receiver or PVR.

Bat-man

Rowana - It's great to hear you won't give your money to Murdoch. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

Primary forum rules
Last reviewed and updated 24th September 2010

Members of these forums must not

1. Post libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive remarks about any individual or company

swedish cook

Novice Member
Personally I admire Mr Murdoch, it was a big punt initially, a lot of money sunk before he got to payback.

I just don't admire him enough to add to his coffers !

On the choice of box you'll notice a few threads already covering Humax HDR, Samsung and Echostar. Because it was first to market and its pretty solid you'll notice many of us plug the HDR, but the other two get a good write-up generally.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Primary forum rules
Last reviewed and updated 24th September 2010

Members of these forums must not

1. Post libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive remarks about any individual or company

Why is the above post in any way in breach :confused:

Lost count of the number of times I have said I wouldn't buy anything Harvard makes. I wouldn't give any money to BskyB either. I don't think they offer value for money. Is that a breach of the rules :confused:

logiciel

I edited out the part that breached the rule.

logiciel

Yes, and we'd probably both agree with the sentiment that it conveyed.

Rowana

Standard Member
Why is the above post in any way in breach :confused:

Lost count of the number of times I have said I wouldn't buy anything Harvard makes. I wouldn't give any money to BskyB either. I don't think they offer value for money. Is that a breach of the rules :confused:

I edited out the part that breached the rule.

Spoilsport :D

Yes, and we'd probably both agree with the sentiment that it conveyed.

I'm sorry if my post has brought forth some non-PC sentiments. That was never my intention.

Just for the record, I've never met the Murdochs, but my Sister-in-law has. Rupert & James were staying at a country house hotel near here while on business, and S-i-l worked there at the time. She said that they were both polite, and gave her a good tip when they left. As to their buisness dealings and ethics, I'll leave that to Parliamentry enquiries to decide.

The reason I said I wouldn't have Sky, is purely a cost-based decision. I'm retired, so I have to watch the pennies these days.

I hope this makes my position clear.

Jim

logiciel

Your position was perfectly clear from the start and was innocuous: "There is no way that I'm giving Murdoch any of my hard-earned for Sky" - many feel the same.
That someone else made a comment that was against AVF Rule 1 was no fault of yours!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I'm sorry if my post has brought forth some non-PC sentiments. That was never my intention.

You did absolutely nothing wrong at all :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom