FreeSat In Baleares (Menorca)?

kebablover

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice please on a subscription free english system please? I have struggled to find any info about dish sizes in particular.

Thanks

Looking at the freesat satellite footprints covering Spain & the west Med, I think you will need the same size dish as we have in Calpe, Alicante in Spain, i.e. a 2.4m dish.
As far as a freesat system goes I have a Sagem HD+ unit, but I'm sure you will be able to get hold of any of the other Freesat boxes, eg Humax, from a Uk satellite "supplier" in Menorca or, more likely, Majorca!
;)

Ah, right, you've counted them! :laugh:

Of which the Humax is most commonly used outside the UK due to the sensitivity of it's tuner.

Impossible to know which is most common - and is the tuner any better than say the HDFS? Only a direct comparison on-site might give an answer.

We've tested loads of receivers & the Foxsat HD is the most sensitive receiver we've tested on side by side basis & easily the most sensitive Freesat box - it is well know now for this & is used round Spain etc.. for Freesat / 2D reception. Most owners in the UK don't know it does that either.

We do a lot of high end sensitivity installs & if anyone asks what's the most sensitive receiver (FTA or Freesat) ... its' the Foxsat ... I've not heard of another Freesat box being mentioned in the sensitivity stakes-

However- we've got a receiver in that might match or even beat it- not tested it yet on a side by side with a Foxsat - & tuners are getting better each year.

As for dish size on Minorca- local knowledge is vital - it can alter in a small area & especially right across from Alicante where dish size jumps to 2.4m & then back down further south to c. 1.2m on the south coast.

What I would say is the quality & conditon of the dish makes a big difference to what size you need & how well it will perform - Channel Master or Prdelin will rarely let you down with an Invacom quad LNB on [or possibly a Black Ultra LNB now]... all not cheap

Also for English on Minorca you can get Nilesat & Arabsat/BADR4 English stuff a lot easier there.

Interesting info.

I've got an HDFS and it functions perfectly well in the west Alicante region - a million times better than the standard sky box. and it's cheaper than the Foxsat! Plus I didn't really want the recording functions - so that was a cost decision. Similarly, I've got a cheap LNB which functions perfectly well. So, I'm hesitant to recommend the most expensive as necessarily worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
I've got an HDFS and it functions perfectly well in the west Alicante region - a million times better than the standard sky box. and it's cheaper than the Foxsat! Plus I didn't really want the recording functions - so that was a cost decision.

The Foxsat HD is approx the same price as the HDFS... It's the HDR that is more expensive but you wouldn't have needed it if you didn't want the PVR.

Interesting info.

I've got an HDFS and it functions perfectly well in the west Alicante region - a million times better than .....

What dish/make are you using & do you get 2D 24/7 glitch free.

As has been pointed out - the size needed there can change fast - some consider it to be a corridor up to Madrid & possibly the effect of the 2 airport's RF noise & the more built up area - or just a dead spot in the 2D beam (or someone's sold a lot of cheapo dishes there).

Used Channel Masters are going cheap actually - and a used one is usually just as good as a new one as they'll take 125mph & walk through the strong winds the region can get, plus you should be able to get away with a smaller dish than a larger cheap dish which will get more hammer in strong winds & more likely to get damaged all round (or blown away as happened a bit back there).

We do a lot of high end sensitivity installs & if anyone asks what's the most sensitive receiver (FTA or Freesat) ... its' the Foxsat ... I've not heard of another Freesat box being mentioned in the sensitivity stakes-

However- we've got a receiver in that might match or even beat it- not tested it yet on a side by side with a Foxsat - & tuners are getting better each year.

Oh please, anything to get away from the irritations of the Foxsat's software! Tell me more???

I'm tempted to start an anti-Foxsat thread purely to counter nonsense statements like:
The most impressive aspect is the user interface, which makes it an absolute pleasure to use,
Utter garbage!
The guilty lurk at astra2d.com

Before the Humax 'experts' hacked the software to get the weekly epg, were older models ok?

Last edited:
I think I've just answered that in another thread - still top dog - tbh we've been that busy just not had time & it takes a lot of work to set them up properly to do really reliable tests but I'm sure this year will see a new contender or two- there are obviuosly some better tuners coming out & some that are doing better on higher FEC rates.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom