Freesat HDR upscale to 1080P.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Pollensa1946, Aug 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pollensa1946

Pollensa1946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    All the Freesat HDR boxes are somewhat coy as to whether they can upscale to 1080P, saying "set your video output to the highest your TV can handle". Exactly what does that mean? Can any of the HDR's output 1080P, upscaled where necessary?

2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I think not. Why should they design such a feature in (no one broadcasts it). Any TV that can display it should have the function.

3. Pollensa1946

Pollensa1946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Lots of generic satellite receivers have that facility. My new Panasonic E5B TV states in the user guide "is capable of displaying input signal of xxx", but nowhere does it actually say "upscales to".

4. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Everything is upscaled (or down scaled depending on TV maximum resolution) to the native resolution of the screen AFAIK. If it's done by the set top box then the TV doesn't have to do it but often the TV is better at it.

You're not going to achieve anything from freesat which only receives interlaced channels, just let the TV do it's stuff IMO.

5. Pollensa1946

Pollensa1946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think you're right. I read on another forum that Panasonic stopped providing upscaling as an option after 2009 production. Upscaling to 1080P is now standard. I've asked Panasonic support to confirm this.
    That suggests that 1080I or lower is being upscaled on my TV, the HD channels certainly look spectacular.
    There's always the possibility that an external box might be better at it than the TV. Just a thought, but the consensus seems to be that no Freesat PVR currently does this.

6. fatbloke1963

fatbloke1963
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been told TV's don't upscale, and that makes sense to me because watching none HD channels with the TV tuner is bloody terrible compared with my Humax hdr. HD both look great but watch say QVC on the TV tuner and then switch to the same channel using the Humax and the difference is huge. When i first started to do this i asked the manager in my local Curry's why this was and he said simple, TV's don't upscale but your Humax does. If it is possible for my one year old Samsung to upscale the picture how do you do it, there's nothing in the manual.

7. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    AFAIK
    If your TV is Full Hd it displays 1080 x 1920 = 2073600 pixels, if the original is SD 720 x 576 freeview the TV screen still runs at 1080 x 1920 and the TV tries to guess and fill in the missing data.
    If your Humax is set to output the same program at 1080 x 1920 the TV doesn't have to "guess" as the Humax has already done it. One may be better than the other at this (and it may vary depending on the program).

Comparing your Humax with your TV's Freeview is not a fair comparison as it's quite likely the Freesat transmission is of higher quality anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Basically the manager at Currys is the simple one. Where do they get the staff :eek:

As already said a HD TV has a fixed number of pixels on the screen. A Full-HD (1080p HD Ready), has 1920 pixels across and 1080 pixels down. Forgetting any external box, use it's built in tuner to watch the best SD TV at 720 x 576 pixels, how come the picture isn't a tiny bit in the middle with black borders. It's simple the TV invents the extra pixels so get 1920 x 1080 (ie it rescales).

There's no menu option required the TV has to work that way, choosing to display only 720 x 576 pixels on a Full-HD screen would be just stupid.

The difference between 1080i and 1080p isn't the resolution, both have 1920 x 1080 pixels. The difference is down to the way the programme data is sent.

An interlaced transmission sends a full frame in two halves, In the UK the odd lines first 1,3,5 etc followed by the even lines 2,4,6,8 etc. Progressive sends the data er progressively :D, 1,2,3,4 etc.

Converting from 1080i to 1080p does not involve any rescaling merely de-interlacing interlaced content to create progressive content. TV's other than crt's displays de-interlace anyway. Lack of 1080p output on satellite kit is pretty irrelevant. Freeview-HD boxes do have 1080p capability because Freeview-HD does have some progressive content (1080p25)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
  9. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I think the old CRT multisync monitors could actually switch their native resolution, eg: 640 x 480 - 1024 x 768 - 1280 x 1024 by switching scan frequencies but of course LCD screens have fixed pixels and everything has to be scaled to this.

10. Pollensa1946

Pollensa1946

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Interesting that on the Manhattan site their Freesat HD-S (NON-PVR) is spec'd as upscaling to 1080P. There is no info on the HDR-S (PVR), in fact it is not even on their site despite it being on sale in a number of sites. So that just might be one PVR that does 1080P.

11. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    May just be a marketing ploy, some people think it's important so will choose their box because it does it, whether it makes any difference is another matter.

There's a similar argument going on at the DS Freesat forum about the merits / or not o paying more than a pound or two for HDMI cables where companies are saying their cables (ones costing a fortune) offer this that and the other features but what they don't say is so do the ones from the pound shops!
    Some people obviously pay these extortionate prices!

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Hm, that other forum must be way behind the times in having that discussion now!
    This one settled the matter in favour of the pound shops long ago.

13. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I know Logi, That's why we're quids in using this site!! :thumbsup: