Freesat HD?...or just Freesat?

mhd1966

Novice Member
Bit of a noob question for you guys.. so sorry in advance

I'm getting Freesat installed next week and was wondering if the dish will pick up the Freesat product as a whole and IF you have a HD box, [or built-in Panasonic] the HDTV will display the HD transmission as and when broadcasted?

or...

Am I advising the installers beforehand that I want freesat HD installed, as opposed to just Freesat?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Yes, HD boxes will do it but you get BBC HD, ITV HD about one hour a night and that's it.
They don't have the capacity to add Ch4 HD so don't wait for it.

mhd1966

Novice Member
Cheers.

Am I right in assuming that I can `jump down` to SD when there isnt much on in the way of HD?

Sonic67

Banned
A Freesat HD box shows about 200 SD channels, 1 HD channel (BBC) and ITV HD when they are showing something.

Geofbob

Novice Member
Bit of a noob question for you guys.. so sorry in advance

I'm getting Freesat installed next week and was wondering if the dish will pick up the Freesat product as a whole and IF you have a HD box, [or built-in Panasonic] the HDTV will display the HD transmission as and when broadcasted?

or...

Am I advising the installers beforehand that I want freesat HD installed, as opposed to just Freesat?
I'm not sure you fully understand the nature of Freesat, & this might help.

Your installers will put up a dish pointing at the Astra 2 & Eurobird 1 satellites, both of which are at about 28.2E.The dish will then pick up all the channels transmitting from those satellites (which are also the satellites used by Sky).

Once you learn how, you should be able to download & watch - using a Freesat box or the Freesat tuner in your TV - all the channels reaching the dish except for those which are encrypted (including some Sky channels).

However, on initial installation, your Freesat box/TV will automatically download some 60 of these many TV channels & numerous radio stations, and these will also appear in an 8 or 14 day EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) thus making it easy for you to plan your viewing. In a sense, it is this EPG which constitutes the Freesat product.

Incidentally, if in the future you decide to change over to Sky, you won't need to have a new dish, cabling or connection(s), as these are exactly the same for the two systems.

derek500

If you are having a bog standard Freesat HD/SD box installed you will only get an dish with one cable.

If in the future you want to upgrade to a PVR/Sky+ box where you can record content or watch one channel and record another, you'll need to upgrade to a dish with two feeds.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure you fully understand the nature of Freesat, & this might help.

Your installers will put up a dish pointing at the Astra 2 & Eurobird 1 satellites, both of which are at about 28.2E.The dish will then pick up all the channels transmitting from those satellites (which are also the satellites used by Sky).

Once you learn how, you should be able to download & watch - using a Freesat box or the Freesat tuner in your TV - all the channels reaching the dish except for those which are encrypted (including some Sky channels).

However, on initial installation, your Freesat box/TV will automatically download some 60 of these many TV channels & numerous radio stations, and these will also appear in an 8 or 14 day EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) thus making it easy for you to plan your viewing. In a sense, it is this EPG which constitutes the Freesat product.

Incidentally, if in the future you decide to change over to Sky, you won't need to have a new dish, cabling or connection(s), as these are exactly the same for the two systems.
Hi Geofbob, current freesat channel count is 145 Radio and TV stations in the epg with a HD box, A SD box will have 1 less epg entry (no BBC HD) The epg includes all BBC regions and two ITV regions and the epg is 8 days. Real channel count is a little less due to regional duplication

Geofbob

Novice Member
Hi Geofbob, current freesat channel count is 145 Radio and TV stations in the epg with a HD box, A SD box will have 1 less epg entry (no BBC HD) The epg includes all BBC regions and two ITV regions and the epg is 8 days. Real channel count is a little less due to regional duplication
:hiya: Hi graham l t - Thanks for the precise figures - hope you didn't have to sit in front of the screen counting all the channels! In fact, my wording was not too clear - I meant 60 TV + numerous radio, which is possibly not far from your 145. My reference to a 14 day EPG was because I thought the Foxsat might have something better than my unimpressive Bush!:)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
:hiya: Hi graham l t - Thanks for the precise figures - hope you didn't have to sit in front of the screen counting all the channels! In fact, my wording was not too clear - I meant 60 TV + numerous radio, which is possibly not far from your 145. My reference to a 14 day EPG was because I thought the Foxsat might have something better than my unimpressive Bush!:)
Nothing like that Geofbob :D I have a Excel spreadsheet that uses macros to identify which two channels and which 3rd channels are viewable using either 1 or 2 cable connections. The first sheet contains a data table of the current freesat epg channels and transponders. All I have to do is look at the last data line row number. :eek: There are in fact around 54 Radio stations giving around 90 TV channels

Last edited:

Geofbob

Novice Member
Graham - I'm sure you know what I'm going to say - it would have been simpler to sit in front of the TV & count the channels on the EPG! (But if I ever get a Freesat recorder in place of my Freeview PVR, & have to operate it with my one communal dish feed, I'll know where to come for info on recording/viewing options.) Cheers, Geoff

Snapman

Novice Member
You fellas comment about the quantiy of channels you're able to receive but it always intrigues me what specific programmes you watch :confused:

In my opinion, the vast majority of free channels broadcast nothing but banaal rubbish.

David

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
You fellas comment about the quantiy of channels you're able to receive but it always intrigues me what specific programmes you watch :confused:

In my opinion, the vast majority of free channels broadcast nothing but banaal rubbish.

David
I could not agree more, but if asked confirming just the number of channels makes no statement whether they are worth watching. I hardly ever watch anything thats not on BBC 1,2, HD, ITV1, CH4 or CH5. Hence a freesat pvr suits my tastes to perfection, others will clearly differ :D

Snapman

Novice Member
I could not agree more, but if asked confirming just the number of channels makes no statement whether they are worth watching. I hardly ever watch anything thats not on BBC 1,2, HD, ITV1, CH4 or CH5. Hence a freesat pvr suits my tastes to perfection, others will clearly differ :D
I'm relieved to learn that you too have a sense of discernment Graham. One channel upon which I often find material to interest me is BBC4.

David

Geofbob

Novice Member

David
Like grahamlthompson, I wholeheartedly agree. However, as a movie fan, very ocasionally I find a film worth watching on one of the non-mainstream channels - though two dedicated film channels, Film 24 & World Movies, have recently gone off air. Also, every so often I like to get a different perspective on the news by watching Russia Today, Al Jazeera, France 24 etc.

Of course, they're on the Freesat EPG - the real rubbish is in the non-Freesat area - though somebody must watch all those shopping, religious & "babe" channels!

Snapman

Novice Member
two dedicated film channels, Film 24 & World Movies, have recently gone off air.

somebody must watch all those shopping, religious & "babe" channels!
Indeed, that is a pity Geofbob as I too enjoy movies. There was also the passing of another channel a few months' ago devoted to older films - I think it may have been called Simply Movies.

Regarding the religious channels, while I find the majority to be unwatchable, I must say I do often watch Genesis and Revelation TV.

David

Last edited:

DonnyBoy

Novice Member
Is the quality of the normal channels like bbc1, ch4, ch5 etc better with the freesat? Of are they just the same as when watched with an onboard DVB tuner??:confused:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom