Freesat HD or Dreambox

danielpollio

Standard Member
Just moved ina new house and have a satellite feed for main rooms connected to a dish.

is there any particular requirements on the cable or receiver if i wanted to go for a Freesat hd?

Also any info or reccomendation on the dreambox boxes?

Possibly looking at cccam (info much appriciated), HDD and HD

whats availabe out there?

ty

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
They all run from the same cabling. If you want Freesat HD and everything that goes with it, full EPG, series links (for PVR models), BBC iPlayer & ITV Player then you need to buy an official Freesat receiver.

A Dreambox will receive all the same channels and you get a full EPG from your internet connection with a little work. If you want more you've found one way of getting it, but CCCam can't be discussed here so find yourself a better forum. :D

logiciel

is there any particular requirements on the cable or receiver if i wanted to go for a Freesat hd?
The cabling is the same for any satellite receiver, and for Freesat you need a Freesat receiver - here they all are: Products - freesat.

Stanman

Rather than an over priced DM, better of considering a xtrend et5000 / vu solo xtrend et9000 or vu uno and duo

danielpollio

Standard Member
someone locally selling a spider box with motorised aerial

any reviews on this box? are motorised aerilas worth? i could be interested in receiving some italian channels so i might have a need for this

Last edited:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
someone locally selling a spider box with motorised aerial
i could be interested in receiving some italian channels so i might have a need for this
They can be extremely buggy with CCCam and the associated 'gift' has a somewhat patchy history too, again look for other forums for more info. Avoid the distributors forum as that is heavily moderated and any complaints are soon removed.

A motorised aerial would probably be useless, a motorised satellite dish however could be very useful. :D Depends what you want to watch and what satellites that can be found on.

danielpollio

Standard Member
A motorised aerial would probably be useless, a motorised satellite dish however could be very useful. :D Depends what you want to watch and what satellites that can be found on.[/QUOTE]

smartarse :D

cheers for the feedback

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
You can get motorised aerials ... they were useful if you were in an rf busy area - now, with so many satellites & channels, they are not so useful compaired to motorised satellite.

hal8000

Novice Member
The Dreambox is the most advanced satellite receiver you can buy.
The fact that Dream Multimedia released the source code allowed the linux community to expand on the original features.
Plugins, games, email filetering are all available, there is a web interface and you can browse the internet, tough if its a non HD model picture will not be too clear.
CCcam, Mgcam etc are all available which cannot be discussed on this forum. However the dreambox can act as a multimedia server
you can stream to and from the dreambox across your LAN to any device, computer or TV (with network access) even across the WAN if you setup external port forwarding.
There are a host of images available and many forums just dedicated solely to the Dreambox. The drawback is the cost even a non HD dreambox will cost more than a HD Sat Receiver, but youve missed the glory years, however there is still plenty to watch.
Be warned though its based on linux so if youre a mouse clicker and hate typing its probably not for you. I still like my DreamBox 7020 the HD models are a lot more expensive, hope that helps.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
There are a host of images available and many forums just dedicated solely to the Dreambox. The drawback is the cost even a non HD dreambox will cost more than a HD Sat Receiver, but youve missed the glory years, however there is still plenty to watch.
Be warned though its based on linux so if youre a mouse clicker and hate typing its probably not for you.
The genuine dreamboxes are very expensive but that is where the clones come in.... if you research and buy the right model they are very reliable and work just as well as the originals...

They do run linux but 99% of the setup is done with the remote control and isn't any different from typical generics. The 'extra' functionality which will require the editting of a configuration file or two is not complicated IMO and the amount of editting is minimal. There are lots of tutorials available online to guide newbies step by setp.

Stanman

Why would you want to buy a crappy clone at £170+ when you can get the likes of the VU+ SOLO and Xtrend XT5000K which are genuine boxes and only £209 and widespread support for them without the need to have modded images.

hal8000

Novice Member
I just looked up VU+ Duo on Sat shop and this sounds a very interesting receiver, perhaps as sat shops says a contender for the DM800.
It also has other images and mgcam and ccam etc so should be able to view what a dreambox can view.
Is the HD full 1080P or 1080i ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom