Freesat HD for non HDCP Projector

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Penfold73, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a Sanyo PLV-70 projector which is not HDCP compatible. I was wondering what my options were for watching Freesat in HD on it? It has component and VGA inputs, so as far as I can see I could get a HDFURY and just about any Freesat HD box would be ok. But I was wondering if any HD boxes output HD in component? I know the Humax HD recorder doesn't have component outputs, so the one HD recorder on the market is out unless I buy a HDFURY as well. What are my best options?

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Generic fta HD pvr stb's have working component outputs and also record HD without encryption. some can also access the freesat epg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the reply Graham, but I'm sorry to say I'm not exactly sure what generic fta HD pvr stb's are? Could you elaborate a little and mention some specific boxes?

The Humax Foxsat HDR doesn't seem to have component outputs, and I'm guessing enforces HDCP on the HDMI output, so the PLV70 is a no go without an HDFURY.

Other boxes have component outputs but I haven't found any that record freesat HD.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Freesat does not actually have any channels, it's just a epg for a few of the free to air channels available from Astra2/Eurobird 1. With the possible exception of ITV HD (Many can tune ITV HD) they can be viewed and recorded by any HD free to air box. For example Maplin sell a single tuner HD pvr the Fortec Star Passion + which can record HD to an external HDD and access the freesat epg.

5. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Many thanks Graham, I'll look into it.