• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

freesat from Sky

jonti007

Standard Member
I am bit confused, I have just cancelled my Sky package, so I only get the basic free channels. Can I buy a freesat card fom Sky now that I am no longer a subscriber?

REPASSAC

There is no point - The card you have gives you exactly what a freesatfromsky card would.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonti007

Standard Member
Right, I have a frresat box in another room and i seem to get more channels through that box than I do on the sky+ box. I perhaps should try to list the channels I receive on each box, Thanks anyway

logiciel

Freesat is not the same thing as FreeSatFromSky.
Check out the channels each provides, on their web sites.

logiciel

Yes, all the free channels are available on any receiver - it's just that different types of receiver get some of them in different ways.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
does that mean I could tune in the missing channels on my Amstrad Sky+ box?

The difference between a Freesat box and a Sky box without a subscription is the EPG (the listing of channels). Both boxes can pick up all the FTA SD channels - channels which are broadcast via satellite on the Astra and Hotbird satellite clusters which is what your Sky dish is pointing at. A Sky box with an ex-subscription card in it can also pick up the encrypted FTV channels and decrypt them - a Freesat box can't do this, as it has nowhere for a card to be put in it which will decrypt these channels.

If you know that a channel is being broadcast which your box doesn't list in its EPG (and it is FTA, and the box is capable of decoding it - i.e. no HD channels on a non-HD box) then as long as you know the settings you can add it using the Other Channels tab on the Sky box.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
does that mean I could tune in the missing channels on my Amstrad Sky+ box?

The only missing channels on the EPG on your Sky+ box (if it and the lnb/cabling is working correctly) will be ITV4+1 (which can be added manually) and the HD channels which it will not receive anyway and also Channel 5 will not appear on the EPG without a card in the box.

If any other channels are missing then there is a problem with the box or your system.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom