Freesat from sky dish

id2d

Standard Member
Reaction score
Apologies for re-asking what's already been answered in other threads, but I just wanted to be absolutely sure I had an up-to-date answer.

I looked up at our recently-installed Sky dish and noticed that the front-bit (you can tell I'm not technical) seems to have 4 sockets. 2 have cables plugged in for the Sky setup and 2 are empty.

Is it really as simple as buying a Freesat box and just plugging it into one of those spare places? No re-positioning the dish or other monkeying around?

As I understand it, the Sky is using 2 cables because it is HD. Can I just buy any normal-definition freesat-branded boxes and use a cable or are HD dished different?

2 cables are needed for viewing one programme and recording another. Nothing to do with HD. Yes to your "socket" question

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only three standard definition Freesat receivers: freesat SD box - freesat.
They use one of the spare dish connections, as do the HD FS receivers, and there are also HD FS receiver/recorders that could use both of the connections if you wanted to be able to record one FS channel while recording another.

Last edited:
It's the correct type of cable, not sure what the quality of the cable will be though. You'd need to think about waterproofing where it connects to the LNB on the dish.

Myself I'd go for a better quality cable and make up a lead, plenty of info on satcure site below including how to fit an F plug, reading reviews some people say cable is thin which almost certainly means poor quality.

Something like this Self Amalgamating tape for waterproofing:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page6.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help
Is it this kind of cable I need to plug directly into the dish and box?
That's OK, and it is the right kind, in the sense that it's co-axial, but it's not the most suitable of that kind.
As Railway says get the right length of good quality cable for external use, and fix the f-plugs to it yourself.
When you've looked at the tape for covering the plug at the dish go on to page 6 to see the wide choice of cable.
I use rubber "boots" - shown on the cable page - instead of tape but it's a matter of choice.

That's OK, and it is the right kind, in the sense that it's co-axial, but it's not the most suitable of that kind.
As Railway says get the right length of good quality cable for external use, and fix the f-plugs to it yourself.
When you've looked at the tape for covering the plug at the dish go on to page 6 to see the wide choice of cable.
I use rubber "boots" - shown on the cable page - instead of tape but it's a matter of choice.

id2d
Just make sure you get the right f plugs (diameter) for the cable if you do make your own! :smashin:

So do I :D plus Silicon Grease, can anyone explain how to tightly wind on self amalgamating tape to a fully wired quad or octo lnb :confused: Much easier to fill a boot with grease and push it up the cable.

So do I :D plus Silicon Grease, can anyone explain how to tightly wind on self amalgamating tape to a fully wired quad or octo lnb :confused: Much easier to fill a boot with grease and push it up the cable.

Silicon is very brittle and cracks easily. I recommend silicone grease instead.

Using self-amalgamating tape on a quad-output LNB is tricky and impossible on an Octo LNB. Fill the plugs with grease, to prevent corrosion, and use the pull-down cover or rubber boots to keep rain off.

Silicon is very brittle and cracks easily. I recommend silicone grease instead.

Using self-amalgamating tape on a quad-output LNB is tricky and impossible on an Octo LNB. Fill the plugs with grease, to prevent corrosion, and use the pull-down cover or rubber boots to keep rain off.

Where did silicone come from ? :confused:

Are you missing M P's soh, or are you doing a double bluff on it?
glt: If you're offended by M P's comment on your typo I'll ask him to remove it.

Are you missing M P's soh, or are you doing a double bluff on it?
glt: If you're offended by M P's comment on your typo I'll ask him to remove it.

Not offended, just puzzled :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamlthompson
Silicon Grease

>
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinPickering
I recommend silicone grease instead

Give him a break, he's just got back from his holiday! :D

He's probably acclimatising, still not used to it being less than 40 degrees centigrade! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom