1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freesat from Sky+ Digibox w/ SDI Output

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by The_Speculum, Jul 10, 2005.

1. The_Speculum

The_Speculum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everybody,
    Based on the information from forums, publicity and business websites, I've decided what I would like to have.
    However, I still have some questions left and would be very grateful for your input on this matter.

Keep in mind that right now I'm not living in the UK. This justifies some of the questions...

For TV Channels source it's more than enough for me to have the Freesat From Sky Card.

For hardware, I would like to have a sky+ digibox with a 200Gb hard disk.
    I would like it to be one of those without the famous "17 minutes bug", and with a SDI output board fitted in.

But... here comes the questions:

1. What exactly do I need to do to have access to ITV and CH4 (or something like that)? Doesn't it come with the card already?

2. Can I use that card with a sky+ digibox as above?

3. Can any sky+ digibox be converted to SDI output? If not, which ones then?

4. Do I need to have the digibox connected to a phone line? If so, what for (assuming I'm using the Freesat Card)?

5. Since I'll be purchasing a digibox, which model/make do you recommend, considering my needs (again, the 17 minutes bug issue...)?

6. Has anyone been able to do something similar? With or without success?

7. Anything else I should be aware of?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    1. If you have an old Sky card, once the subscription has been canceled the card is then used to get the free to view channels that are encripted, ie ITV etc

2. If it was for a Sky+ box when used for the subscription then I would say so.

3. Only Sky+ version 1 boxes can be SDI modified.

4. No!

5. Only Pace made the version 1 Sky+ boxes and this is what is needed if you want to add an SDI output.

6. Elliot from PJ HiFi does SDI mods to DVD players and Sky+ boxes. See Here for details.

7. Probably :devil:

Mark.

3. The_Speculum

The_Speculum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.

I think I got the second question wrong... what I wanted to ask is:

2. Can I use a digibox with the record to disk function with a Freesat Card (not a sky subscription, either active or cancelled)? Can I record channels and use it as a PVR with the channels available in the Freesat Card?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    You can't use the recording functions of the Sky+ box without a subscription.

John

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    You can use the Sky+ PVR features without a subscription to any Sky channels, but you will need to pay the £10 per month Sky+ subscription. Without this you just have a dual tuner Sky STB.

Mark.