(Freesat) Freetime vs Youview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by misar, Sep 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. misar

misar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just posted this in the Hd thread but it struck me that it would be better to start a new thread. Apologies for the double post.

As someone who has expressed serious doubts about the viability of Youview in other posts, this strikes me as an extremely significant development. They even got the branding right with a name which reflects the function and is readily associated with Freesat. The success of Freeview+ as a brand shows how important this is and I guess they will allow use of both Freesat and Freetime logos or promote Freetime as a sort of Freesat++. If the spec etc also allows cheaper STBs (or TVs) without a built in HDD we could yet see Youview stillborn.

An intriguing thought is whether it would it be possible for Freeview to also adopt the Freetime brand, EPG and apps, suitably modified for DTT (ie Freeview++). If that happened it really would be the end of Youview as a mainstream service.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Freetime boxes have new silicon supporting MHEG5, anyone know if Youview boxes have the same capability ? If not probably a non-starter.

3. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Youview boxes incorporate MHEG-IC which is the later version of MHEG. <free time> uses the HbbTV standard which is less easy to incorporate into systems including live TV using DVB