Freesat channels that will not play using Samsung receiver .

Tilda

Novice Member
I have a Samsung freesat receiver on our narrowboat. I use a dish on the roof which I point at the satellite using a signal strength meter. With it I get a good strong signal and can receive hundreds of channels. When I choose a channel they often play straight away. If I flick through the channels to say filmi-4 it is blank with the error signal "check the signal source" on the TV. If I bring up info it reports there is 100% signal strength. One channel up, say film-4 +1 will play and show the same signal strength. The next channel may not play, again with the same signal strength. If I flick around then sometimes the channel I want will play, sometimes this doesn't work. If I go to the channel guide then sometimes this triggers the channel. If its a HD channel then using the HD option in the channel guide often works. Any ideas? I have looked at all the info on the "missing" channel and can find no difference between it and the ones that play straight away.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Film 4 is FTA on 11307 H (SID = 8385) and also 10714 H (9220) - likely with different regional ads?
Film 4+1 is on 10936 V (8341).

So of the two channels you've named the H-V polarisation switching could be the issue. Possibly a failing LNB port?

Check the cables and connections as a first base, ensuring quality all-copper double screened type is used? As that could be the cause of an intermittent poor connection for the DC power switching voltages.

Tilda

Novice Member
If it was a poor connection I would not get any channels. The signal strength indicator on the channel info page shows 100% for both the channel that plays and the channel that doesn't. Why does moving onto the channel and off again get it to play. Once the channel is playing it never goes off.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If it was a poor connection I would not get any channels. The signal strength indicator on the channel info page shows 100% for both the channel that plays and the channel that doesn't. Why does moving onto the channel and off again get it to play. Once the channel is playing it never goes off.
Read the last paragraph of Rodders53's reply.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Then it's a call to Samsung as the sat tuner control volts switching is likely poorly ... or the lnb is poorly ... or something warms up to start working after a time .... or

You ask for ideas and then rudely shoot the suggestions down in flames.

Anyway as they say on Dragons Den - I'm out.

Tilda

Novice Member
You ask for ideas and then rudely shoot the suggestions down in flames.
Sorry if I upset you but I wasn't being rude. I was asked to read a reply, which I had read, by someone who hadnt bothered to read my question.

As this was such an obvious problem I thought someone might have an obvious answer. I no nothing about electronics but won't be investing today either...... 🤣

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I was pointing out Rodders53's reply that it could be an intermittent problem caused by a poor connection and of course I had thoroughly read your query.
You appeared to dismiss it out of hand.
Rodders53 knows his stuff when it comes to these types of faults.

REPASSAC

I agree with Rodders53 that is proberally a polarisation or switching problem. This can also be caused with the LNB skew being well out or by an poor electrical connection at either end.
You mention signal strength when it is only signal quality that matters.

logiciel

Yes, signal strength isn’t relevant, and something in the dish to receiver system is causing the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom