• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Freesat cable question

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I am currently burying some cables in a conduit in my wall. I will buy a Freesat enabled plasma soon (PZ81), and was wondering what extra cables I will need to use.

I have already put in an optical cable to carry the sound from the TV to my amp, but what bout the satellite connection?

I have a standard aerial lead (for Freeview tuners) in there already - can this be used/converted or will I need something else.

Any advice appreciated.

Night Watchman

Standard Member
Since this is going to be a permanent installation I would suggest that you buy dedicated high quality low-loss satellite antenna cable and don't just use standard aerial coax cable (suitable for Freeview). It may be a few pence more but it is less subject to interference and signal loss. Suggest you might as well install either a double cable or two seperate ones whilst you are at it in case you upgrade to a PVR at a later stage. Check out the web for quality cable suppliers/manufacturers. :thumbsup:

Winning is everything. The only ones who remember you when you come second are your wife and your dog.
Damon Hill

covdude

Banned
hier

what about the cable that comes with freesat installation ??

They may not run it through your conduit i know and im not sure to there quality either.

vmt

steve

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Since this is going to be a permanent installation I would suggest that you buy dedicated high quality low-loss satellite antenna cable and don't just use standard aerial coax cable (suitable for Freeview). It may be a few pence more but it is less subject to interference and signal loss. Suggest you might as well install either a double cable or two seperate ones whilst you are at it in case you upgrade to a PVR at a later stage. Check out the web for quality cable suppliers/manufacturers. :thumbsup:

/QUOTE]

Thanks. I always use the satellite cable for all of my aerial leads anyway, but are the terminations any different for Freesat - my cables have got the standard aerial plug on them

F

folkie

You'll need f-type connectors at both the dish end and at the TV end. I have the 50" Panny with built in Freesat and it takes a direct f-plug input.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom