Freesat box no longer records 4 channels

JHUK51

Novice Member
Reaction score
We had to replace our Freesat box that was still under warranty in November. The old one allowed us to record multiple shows (up to 4) at a time, but this one doesn't. Also for some reason (and this has just started), when we turn the TV on, we get a message that we have to wait a few minutes while it "sets up the dish"! Could this be related to the non-multiple recording? The Quick Start Guide says we need a "wideband LNB on you satellite dish" --- I assume we have that since we did it on the old Freesat box. How do I check? Any ideas, please?

Help us to help you by giving the brand and model no of your Freesat box.
You would normally only have a wideband LNB if you’ve ever had Sky Q.

I can't find the model number but the brand is Freesat. We got it directly from Freesat so it's not another brand. The guide says "Recordable 4K TV box, 500 GB. I've written on the guide: UHD 4X-500, if that helps. We've never had Sky, just use the Sky satellite dish that was here when we moved in the house 3 years ago. I did unplug it, left it about 30 minutes, then plugged the power back on and we didn't get that message about waiting to reset the dish. Hope that will have at least cured that bit. When we first got it, I had the SAS Antenna man out to set it up. It worked just fine until the box went wacky. Then Freesat sent us this box since the first was still under warranty. And it also worked fine. Just the past few month it's started acting up.

10th November 2021 | Freesat added that 'setting up' feature to replace a 'no signal' one. So likely not related.

How do I identify my LNB type? | Freesat tells you how to identify what LNB the box thinks is connected. What does that say?

Have you performed a factory reset recently?? 8 February 2023 - Loss of channels on Freesat 4K TV Boxes after a reset | Freesat

May be worth following that advice above anyway. No recordings will be lost but make a note of your scheduled lists.

A factory reset/first time install may detect the LNB correctly?

A picture of the LNB and cable exits may help. One where the label can be read even better.

If all else fails, call freesat for advice?

. . .
A factory reset/first time install may detect the LNB correctly?

A picture of the LNB and cable exits may help. One where the label can be read even better.

If all else fails, call freesat for advice?
Aha! I've done some poling and found we have a "Standard LNB with 2 cables", which means we can only "record one channel while you watch another, or record two channels while you watch a recording you made earlier." (from the website). I'm going to find the receipt from the antenna company we used as I'm sure they said they installed the wideband LNB.

Also the message we got that said "setting up the dish. This will take a few minutes" is back! Not sure what causes that because we definitely never used to get that, but now it appears sporadically. Should we do a factory reset? I don't want to mess it up by doing something that is unnecessary.

Anyway, thanks for your help. We obviously didn't know what we were doing!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom